How to become a database & systems administrator
What does a database & systems administrator do?
Database and systems administrators develop and implement security plans and procedures and optimise database and management system programs.
Duties and tasks
- Develop and maintain database and software master plans including database and software design and construction.
- Develop criteria and procedures for the proper use and procurement of software and database management systems.
- Document and record operational activities and maintenance in database and system logs; prepare manuals and documents to distribute for system usage knowledge.
- Implement high levels of security programs to protect information from damage, embezzlement or alteration and work with external security providers or systems.
- Improve the performance and security of existing software and database management systems and set up backup and recovery plans to avoid lost files.
- Monitor, detect and solve computer and security systems, troubleshoot server-related software and hardware problems.
- Train staff on proper software use and security measures.
- Utilise and test new software and database systems to achieve optimal performance, security and functioning; manage new system installations when needed.
- Australian Computer Society (ACS)
- Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA)
- Australian Information Security Association
- Data Management Association
- Information Technology Professionals Association (ITPA)
- Internet Association of Australia
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.
Adriana is using her nutrition degree to make a difference
With her Bachelor of Food and Nutrition, Adriana educates others about the impact food can have on the body.