How to become a database & systems administrator
What does a database & systems administrator do?
Database and systems administrators develop and implement security plans and procedures and optimise database and management system programs.
Duties and tasks
- Develop and maintain database and software master plans including database and software design and construction.
- Develop criteria and procedures for the proper use and procurement of software and database management systems.
- Document and record operational activities and maintenance in database and system logs; prepare manuals and documents to distribute for system usage knowledge.
- Implement high levels of security programs to protect information from damage, embezzlement or alteration and work with external security providers or systems.
- Improve the performance and security of existing software and database management systems and set up backup and recovery plans to avoid lost files.
- Monitor, detect and solve computer and security systems, troubleshoot server-related software and hardware problems.
- Train staff on proper software use and security measures.
- Utilise and test new software and database systems to achieve optimal performance, security and functioning; manage new system installations when needed.
- Australian Computer Society (ACS)
- Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA)
- Australian Information Security Association
- Data Management Association
- Information Technology Professionals Association (ITPA)
- Internet Association of Australia
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.