How to become a nursing assistant
What does a nursing assistant do?Nursing assistants help nurses provide patients with support and services in health and community centre environments. They are understanding and helpful with patients and able to perform a variety of functions and services.
Duties and tasks
- Provide specialised care and treatment for elderly, mental health patients and patients with disabilities.
- Assist nurses, doctors, physical and occupational therapists in treatments and rehabilitation movements while treating patients.
- Assist patients with personal requests to ensure they are comfortable and to minimise pain or discomfort.
- Collaborate with nurses to understand individual patient circumstances and plan for recovery.
- Help patients perform basic activities such as eating, showering and changing in hospitals, doctors offices, residential care and convalescent homes.
- Monitor patients and notify nurses and doctors of patients development and reaction to treatments and medications.
- Provide routine sterilisation and cleaning of patient rooms, linens and garments and maintain personal cleanliness and sterilisation to prevent infections from spreading.
- Carers Australia
- The Australian Healthcare and Hospital Association
- Allied Health Professionals Australia
Discover nursing courses online
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.