How to become a diversional therapist
Pathways to this career
- Complete a formal qualification in diversional therapy.
- Major in leisure and health or therapeutic recreation and secure the most relevant pathway.
- Get a National Police Certificate, First Aid Certificate, Working with Children Check. Updated immunisations are also a condition of any clinical placements.
- Share your journey with other therapists and join any associations, such as Diversional Therapy Australia.
What does a diversional therapist do?
Duties and tasks
- Plan and run leisure and recreation activities including outings and general exercise.
- Evaluate clients’ needs and assess their abilities.
- Know community leisure and recreation resources and facilities.
- Assist with training and supervising volunteers and staff.
- Activities coordinator
- Activities officer
Step up your career with these resources
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.
Adriana is using her nutrition degree to make a difference
With her Bachelor of Food and Nutrition, Adriana educates others about the impact food can have on the body.