How to become a diversional therapist
Pathways to this career
- Complete a formal qualification in diversional therapy.
- Major in leisure and health or therapeutic recreation and secure the most relevant pathway.
- Get a National Police Certificate, First Aid Certificate, Working with Children Check. Updated immunisations are also a condition of any clinical placements.
- Share your journey with other therapists and join any associations, such as Diversional Therapy Australia.
What does a diversional therapist do?
Duties and tasks
- Plan and run leisure and recreation activities including outings and general exercise.
- Evaluate clients’ needs and assess their abilities.
- Know community leisure and recreation resources and facilities.
- Assist with training and supervising volunteers and staff.
- Activities coordinator
- Activities officer
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised the ease of online study, Edward's goals went from squeezing through with a 'pass', to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.