How to become a child carer
Pathways to this career
- Study either an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in education, majoring in Early Childhood Education. While a Certificate 3 makes for a fast entry into the world of childcare, tertiary qualifications can increase your earning potential.
- A Working with Children check/license is mandatory in every Australian state. Consider completing a comprehensive First Aid certificate to increase your chances of employment.
- Look into the The Australian Children's Education and Quality Care Authority (ACECQA) for support, education and networking events to qualified child carers across Australia.
What does a child carer do?
Duties and tasks
- Assist children with personal care activities such as hygiene, bathing and dressing, and mobility
- Cook and prepare meals, snacks and beverages for children according to centre specifications or parents requests
- Engage children in a variety of stimulating activities to promote their development such as musical activities, outdoor games, reading, basic educational programs, etc.
- Manage and correct children's behavior and implement appropriate disciplinary actions
- Plan or determine daily routine for children set out by parents, caretakers or day care centres and guide children in routine activities
- Prepare materials and pack items needed for educational programs and social and outdoor activities
- Supervise children while partaking in outdoors play, games and activities and ensure safety at all times
- Australian Institute of Welfare and Community Workers
- Australian Youth Affairs Coalition
- Carers Australia
- Child care worker
- Developmental care worker
- Education aide
- Social worker
- Therapy aide
- Welfare worker
- Youth worker
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.