How to become a child carer

Look after and care for children in residential households and childcare centres.

Pathways to this career

  1. Study either an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in education, majoring in Early Childhood Education. While a Certificate 3 makes for a fast entry into the world of childcare, tertiary qualifications can increase your earning potential.
  2. A Working with Children check/license is mandatory in every Australian state. Consider completing a comprehensive First Aid certificate to increase your chances of employment.
  3. Look into the The Australian Children's Education and Quality Care Authority (ACECQA) for support, education and networking events to qualified child carers across Australia.

What does a child carer do?

Duties and tasks

  • Assist children with personal care activities such as hygiene, bathing and dressing, and mobility
  • Cook and prepare meals, snacks and beverages for children according to centre specifications or parents requests
  • Engage children in a variety of stimulating activities to promote their development such as musical activities, outdoor games, reading, basic educational programs, etc.
  • Manage and correct children's behavior and implement appropriate disciplinary actions
  • Plan or determine daily routine for children set out by parents, caretakers or day care centres and guide children in routine activities
  • Prepare materials and pack items needed for educational programs and social and outdoor activities
  • Supervise children while partaking in outdoors play, games and activities and ensure safety at all times

Industry bodies

Related jobs

  • Child care worker
  • Counsellor
  • Developmental care worker
  • Education aide
  • Social worker
  • Therapy aide
  • Welfare worker
  • Youth worker

Discover related courses

Undergraduate UNE-CWW-DIP

Diploma in Community Welfare and Wellbeing

Undergraduate TAS-DMT-DEG

Bachelor of Dementia Care

Available majors

  • Ageing Studies and Services Major

Postgraduate GRF-SWK-MAS

Master of Social Work

We're here to guide you there

Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.

Talk to a student advisor

We'll be in touch to answer your questions.

Student advisor Jason Student advisor Maria Student advisor Peter

Usually replies in 30 mins