How to become a disabled carer
What does a disabled carer do?Disabled carers perform a variety of tasks and functions in order to assist disabled populations in their daily life. They may assist clients with personal care, household chores, medical support and acting as a companion to them. They should be compassionate, attentive and proactive.
Duties and tasks
- Assist disabled clients with personal care activities such as bathing and dressing, and mobility
- Cook and prepare meals, beverages and other requested items for clients
- Evaluate clients needs, circumstances and goals by speaking with the client and family members, health professionals and others who may be familiar with the client
- Offer emotional and mental support and companionship to clients
- Organise social activities for clients and help them prepare for it
- Perform household chores for clients including sweeping, vacuuming, sanitising bathrooms and kitchen
- Run errands on behalf of clients and shop for food and other house
- Care worker
- Community development worker
- Home support worker
- Registered nurse
- Residential care worker
- Social worker
- Welfare support worker
- Youth worker
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.