Graduate Certificate in Nursing
Progress your nursing career with confidence
A fast-tracked formal nursing qualification for registered nurses seeking new skills and a promotion. Develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Prepare to provide evidenced-based care in a range of contexts. Open the door to further study.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
The University of Notre Dame Australia is committed to delivering an excellent student experience, alongside a high standard of teaching, research, and training. As a leader in ethical education, Notre Dame aims to develop students’ critical reasoning and their ability to make ethical decisions—crucial skills to progressing their careers and leading purposeful lives. At Notre Dame, students navigate their future with an ethical education online.
On completion of this program students should be able to achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Develop leadership qualities to support staff development and professional competence
- Critically reflect on practice and own learning and develop skills for lifelong learning
- Examine the role of the multidisciplinary team to provide coordinated clinical care patients with varied health conditions
- Examine clinical governance frameworks related to quality nursing management and practice
- Use current evidence and research to inform patient assessment, clinical decisions and best practice
Grad Cert qualifications usually allow RNs to apply for promotion (e.g. Clinical Nurse Specialist roles). Grad Certs also allow RNs to build their confidence in University education (as many have not studied for some time) and to build towards higher qualifications to support career development progression into areas of research, management and leadership (e.g. Clinical Nurse Educator, Clinical Nurse Consultant).
Work and Life
To be eligible for admission to the Graduate Certificate in Nursing applicants must also meet the following specific requirements:
- Current licence to practice as a Registered Nurse (Div 1) with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia or provisional registration, whichever is applicable at the time of the student's program commencement.
- Nursing or other appropriate degree or the equivalent.
The Graduate Certificate in Nursing provides registered nurses with the opportunity to further develop their critical thinking and problem-solving skills and leadership capability so they are prepared to provide evidenced-based care in a range of contexts. There are a broad range of elective courses, enabling participants to match their learning to their areas of interest or workplace needs.
Recommended Study Pattern
Complete 3 core subjects from the following options:
- NURS4006 Evidence Based Practice and Research*
- NURS4000 Advanced Health Assessment
- NURS4036 (Coming Soon)
- NURS5006 Professional Role Development
- NURS5021 (Coming Soon)
Complete 1 elective subject from the available elective options.
*Students must complete mandatory subject NURS4006 as part of their three core subject options.
To be eligible for the award of Graduate Certificate in Nursing students must complete a minimum of 100 Units of Credit. This involves 1 core course, 2 core elective courses and 1 additional elective course.
Choose your subjects
Students may choose one (1) elective to complete from the following selection:
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select “See subjects”
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.