How to become a landscape architect
Pathways to this career
- Complete tertiary qualifications accredited by the Australian Institute of Landscape Architects (AILA). This may be a bachelor degree followed by a masters or a dedicated undergraduate degree in landscape architecture.
- Are you an experienced landscaper? Advance your career progression with a master's qualification.
- Join recognised institutions such as AILA to stay up to date with industry news, meet like-minded people and expand your knowledge in the field.
What does a landscape architect do?Landscape architects plan and oversee the creation and reinvigoration of outdoor areas including parks, urban plazas, and monuments. They combine creativity with technical know-how around materials, plants, soils, and ecological factors.
Duties and tasks
- Create designs and material options indicating current vegetation, structures and properties of proposed area location.
- Review companies to implement design, then oversee their progress and make sure they meet specifications.
- Offer budget and time estimates for design, materials and labour.
- Recommend design options, maintenance and improvements on landscaped areas.
- Research geographical and ecological features of soil, runoff, and vegetation to determine appropriate land use.
- Work with clients and landscape professionals to meet size requirements, budget and aesthetics.
- Australian Institute of Landscape Architects
- Australian Institute of Landscape Designers and Managers
Discover online architecture courses
Discover online architecture subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.