Introduction to Sustainable Design for Houses
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Identify relationships between the design and construction of homes and their impact on the environment and human health
- Define key principles of sustainable design relevant to the design and construction of individual dwellings
- Explain the rationale for judgements about sustainable design priorities for houses in relation to identified environmental and social contexts
- Integrate sustainable design priorities in a housing brief related to the design, renovation or retrofit of a home.
- Sustainability and housing
- Sustainable design
- Design for climate
- Design for health
- Systems, products and materials
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This subject aims to develop an awareness of environmental and human health impacts of housing in order to inform critical and creative decision-making in the design and renovation of houses. You will explore how housing affects our own health and the health of the planet, and how sustainable design can reduce environmental impacts and improve well-being. You will also learn how to make design choices that are more sustainable in relation to your personal needs and circumstances. The subject will emphasise reflective thinking, practical knowledge and an integrated approach that relates issues of sustainability to quality design, functionality and value.
- Online quizzes (5) (25%)
- Short answer questions (25%)
- Housing brief (50%)