How to become an urban or regional planner
Design and implement plans and advice for urban and rural land use, considering environmental, economic, and social factors.
What does an urban or regional planner do?Urban planners create communities in metropolitan areas. Regional or rural planners work to ensure sustainable use of large, less populated areas of land. Planners must have a good knowledge of spatial areas, in addition to understanding how construction factors influence layout and design.
Duties and tasks
- Act as specialist in project and building plans, presenting assessments and plans and offering advice and resolving disputes when needed.
- Analyse information on particular land from various fields and organisations on legislative material, socioeconomic factors, and environmental, cultural and demographic information.
- Assess environmental impact reports as well as complaints or concerns from community groups and organisations.
- Consult all relevant individuals, organisations, and stakeholders in urban or regional area to gain perspective on all factors influencing planning process.
- Develop, assess, and recommend appropriate development of land and areas, designing prospective plans for areas and projects.
- Evaluate client objectives and budgetary limits for land development to create appropriate designs and plans.
- Research building codes, zoning areas, and regulations and legislative aspects of planning.
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.