How to become a quantity surveyor
Pathways to this career
- Complete an accredited tertiary qualification in surveying, architecture or construction management.
- You may need to register with an industry board or association. Check with your state or territory before commencing work as a quantity surveyor.
- Advance your career with further study. A postgraduate surveying degree can help you get to the next level.
- Search for internships, work experience or volunteer opportunities while you're studying. Gaining experience before graduation may improve your chances of employment.
What does a quantity surveyor do?
Quantity Surveyors undertake tax depreciation, insurance estimation, mediation and arbitration. They work closely with architects, financiers, engineers, contractors, suppliers, project owners, property developers, accountants, insurance underwriters, solicitors and courts, and with all levels of government.
Duties and tasks
- Measure and estimate construction costs and cost planning
- Produce project budgeting for feasibility studies
- Contract administration and reporting
- Assess project risk and cost reporting for financial institutions
- Life cycle costing and replacement reporting
- Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors
- Engineers Australia
- Master Builders Australia
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
Discover online architecture courses
Discover online architecture subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.