Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Knowledge in the Sciences: Tackling Global Challenges
Explore global challenges, and the role of the sciences in helping humanity to meet them. While you get ready to tackle study with this FlexiTrack course, you’ll also further develop your academic skills including presentation and report creation.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Feb 2019
- 27 May 2019
- 26 Aug 2019
- 25 Nov 2019
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 22,000 students and 2,000 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to have:
- study skills such as time management and organisation and interpersonal communication
- academic skills including:, numeracy, critical thinking, analysing, report writing information seeking and management, and use of learning technologies (e.g. computers and libraries)
- conceptual understandings of: knowledge in the sciences
- attributes that promote success at university such as persistence, self-management and commitment.
- Study Skills
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s); or enrol in the following subject(s) to study at the same time or prior to this subject:
Enrolment in FlexiTrack enabling degree and completion of, or joint enrolment with, Learning EQU081 Uni Style and EQU082, Knowledge in the Social Sciences: Understanding Social Change. English competence as per Murdoch University policy is a prerequisite requirement of this subject.
- EquipmentDetails - Need ability to record video and voice (this can be the inbuilt camera and microphone of their computer).
Knowledge in the Sciences: Tackling Global Challenges is the fourth subject in the FlexiTrack preparation course that qualifies you to apply directly for any undergraduate degree at Murdoch University that has an indicative ATAR of 70 or less. This subject is made up of a series of engaging topics introducing students to how knowledge is created in the sciences, exploring global challenges. Through this journey students build on academic skills such as numeracy and report writing.
Please Note: This subject is only available for Domestic Students.
- Reflective Blog (10%)
- Report Draft and Referencing (20%)
- Calculating the Mean and Graphing (10%)
- Scientific report (1500 words) (30%)
- Module Reflective Video Learning Journal (5 minutes in total) (30%)
Textbooks are not required.
Textbook information is pending.