Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Knowledge in the Social Sciences: Understanding Social Change
Prepare yourself for success in the social sciences. While you begin to explore aspects of social change and understand the overall process of change, you’ll develop your skills in academic reading, writing and presentation.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Nov 2019
- 02 Mar 2020
- 01 Jun 2020
- 31 Aug 2020
- 30 Nov 2020
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 22,000 students and 2,000 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
Times Higher Education Ranking
At the completion of this subject students will be able to have:
- study skills such as time management and organisation and interpersonal communication
- academic skills including academic reading, writing, oral communication, critical thinking, critical analysis, essay planning, essay writing information seeking and management, and use of learning technologies (e.g. computers and libraries)
- conceptual understandings of: knowledge in the social sciences, the purposes and processes of change (personal and societal), and (c the roles of individuals and groups as agents of change
- attributes that promote success at university such as persistence, self-management and commitment.
- Study skills
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or enrol in the following subject(s) to study at the same time or prior to this subject:
English competence as per Murdoch University policy is a prerequisite requirement of this subject.
- EquipmentDetails - Need ability to record video and voice (this can be the inbuilt camera and microphone of their computer).
Knowledge in the Social Sciences: Understanding Social Change is the second subject in the FlexiTrack preparation course that qualifies you to apply directly for any undergraduate degree at Murdoch University that has an indicative ATAR of 70 or less. This subject consists of a series of engaging topics which introduce students to knowledge in the social sciences, exploring the concept of social change, building on academic skills such as critical reading, analysis, essay writing and referencing.
Please Note: This subject is only available for Domestic Students.
- Summary and Critical Analysis (30%)
- Fishbone Essay Plan (5%)
- Critical Essay - social change agents (1250 words) (25%)
- Reflective Blog (0%)
- Module Reflective Video Learning Journal (5 minutes in total) (30%)
- Multiple Choice Mini Quizzes (10%)
Textbooks are not required.
Textbook information is pending.