Issues in Early Childhood Policy and Pedagogy
Immerse yourself in current issues and debates affecting pedagogy, practice, politics and policy. Critique relevant literature, analyse alternative perspectives and establish your personal position regarding emerging trends in this area.
There are no available classes. Find another subject.
- 29 Jul 2019
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- refine their professional understandings and skills in early childhood pedagogy and policy
- examine current issues impacting on policy and pedagogy in the early childhood sector and analyse alternative perspectives
- critique relevant literature
- establish a personal position regarding emerging trends in the early childhood arena.
- Introduction to the unit
- Understanding early childhood policy and politics - a conceptual overview
- Early childhood policy - global contexts
- Understanding early childhood pedagogy
- Reconsidering the concept of developmentally appropriate practice
- Early childhood policy - national contexts
- Assessment and effective pedagogy
- Early childhood policy - local contexts
- Diversity and social justice in early childhood settings
- Children's voices in early childhood policy
- Critiquing the experience of Reggio Emilia
- Presentations & implications
- Reflections on learning
- Chat Rooms
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
- MAQ-ECHX603-Early Childhood Professional Practice 1
- MAQ-ECHX601-Health and Well-being in Early Childhood
- MAQ-ECHX820-Families in Context
- MAQ-ECHX827-Learning Through Mathematics, Science and Technology in Early Childhood Settings
- MAQ-ECHX826-Leading and Managing Early Childhood Settings
- MAQ-ECHX824-Early Childhood Development Research and Practice
- MAQ-ECHX823-Language and Literacy in Early Childhood
- MAQ-ECHX600-Early Childhood Philosophy and Pedagogy
- MAQ-ECHX602-Early Childhood Development
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
Admission to MTeach (Birth to Five Years) - Enrolment has to be approved by contacting Associate Professor Manjula Waniganayake, email@example.com
- OtherDetails -
Access to a digital camera, or mobile phone or tablet with camera capability. Basic computer tools such as Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
This subject was previously known as ECHX822 Issues in Policy and Pedagogy.
This subject explores current issues and debates affecting pedagogy, practice, politics and policy in early childhood education. Students will explore a range of responses to state, national and international influences on the provision of nurturant educational services in the early childhood years. We will consider diverse approaches to teaching practice as well as policy development in the delivery of various services used by young children and their families. This will include the investigation of approaches to reconceptualising early childhood pedagogy as well as the achievements of major government initiatives directed at early childhood education and care settings and the wellbeing of young children and their families.
- Assignment 1A (20%)
- Assignment 1B (20%)
- Assignment 2 (40%)
- Assignment 1C (20%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more: