Early Childhood Professional Practice 1
Integrate theory and practice by combining your university study of theory and the Early Years Learning Framework with a 20-day practical teaching experience. You’ll practise at the level expected of a postgraduate teacher of babies and toddlers.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 Jul 2019
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- demonstrate a variety of approaches in curriculum decision making
- demonstrate links between theory, the Early Years Learning Framework (DEEWR, 2009) and planning for babies and toddlers
- identify factors that influence curriculum decision making processes
- facilitate appropriate experiences for children within the total learning environment
- identify appropriate strategies for guiding children’s behaviour (birth to two years)
- describe the value of an anti bias approach in work with children and their families
- demonstrate an understanding of the role of the reflective practitioner.
- Welcome & Introduction
- Pedagogy & Approaches I-II
- Programming & Planning I-IV
- Professional Experience Preparation
- Engaging with Community I - II
- Professional Experience Placement
- Chat Rooms
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
MAQ-ECHX601-Health and Well-being in Early Childhood , or MAQ-ECEX601
MAQ-ECHX602-Early Childhood Development , or MAQ-ECEX602
MAQ-ECHX600-Early Childhood Philosophy and Pedagogy , or MAQ-ECEX600
- OtherDetails -
- eTextbook: Mia Mia Child & Family Study Centre. (2014). Play and materials for children birth to two years. Sydney: Macquarie University. This required text (eBook) can be purchased from Mia Mia Child & Family Study Centre. Please complete the order form located at http://iec.mq.edu.au/research/mia_mia/publications_and_resources/ and email to firstname.lastname@example.org to place your order.
- Access to a digital camera, or mobile phone or tablet with camera capability. Basic computer tools such as Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
This subject was previously known as ECEX603 Early Childhood Professional Practice 1.
This subject incorporates both specialist theory and practice in early childhood education by combining university based study with practical teaching experience in an early childhood setting. The 20-day practical experience component is based on a sound understanding that students will be operating at a level reasonably expected of a postgraduate student teacher undertaking a block of professional experience as a teacher of young children for the first time. Subject content will focus on examining and reflecting on the student's role in teaching and learning with young children from birth to two years.
- Assignment 1 (30%)
- Assignment 2 (40%)
- Assignment 3 (30%)
- Placement- assessed as un/satisfactory (0%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more: