Early Childhood Development Research and Practice
Extend your knowledge of child development. Consider the measurement of child development, quality in childcare, and evaluation of children's environments. Analyse research to develop your skills in using evidence-based approaches to teaching
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Jul 2019
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- demonstrate critical, analytical and integrative thinking in applying developmental theory and research in prior to school settings
- demonstrate advanced understanding of child development theory to enable the critical assessment of children's learning environments
- use high level thinking and analytical skills to apply evidence from child development research to address everyday problems concerned with children's early development
- utilise child development knowledge in actively contributing to discussions concerning early childhood policy and practice
- communicate child development research effectively to other professionals and parents.
- Introduction to unit content and requirements. Theoretical approaches.
- Evidence-based practice
- Australian studies of child development.
- International studies on child development and early childhood education.
- Key transitions in early childhood development.
- Early brain development in children.
- Social-emotional development and wellbeing.
- Culture, child development and early childhood education.
- Risk-taking behaviour and child development.
- Effects of child abuse and neglect on the developing child
- Prevention and intervention programs
- Reflections on the learning from this unit
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
MAQ-ECHX602-Early Childhood Development , or MAQ-ECEX602
- OtherDetails -
Access to a digital camera, or mobile phone or tablet with camera capability. Basic computer tools such as Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
This subject was previously known as ECHX824 Early Child Development Research and Practice.
This subject is designed to extend students' knowledge of child development with a particular emphasis on approaches to understanding and measuring child development, considerations for quality in childcare, and evaluation of children's environments. Recent research studies of child development, especially in relation to prior-to-school settings, will be used as a major resource for examining contemporary theory and research in child development. Students will analyse research to develop their skills in using evidence-based approaches in teaching, to inform policy, and evaluate programs within prior-to-school settings.
- Assignment 1 (20%)
- Assignment 2 (20%)
- Assignment 3 (50%)
Textbook information is pending.