Master of Health Professional Education
Innovate and lead purposeful change in health education
Hone your skills, including facilitation and research, and aim for best practice in contemporary health education. Extend your educational expertise. Explore the process of writing a research proposal. Prepare for a senior role or consider PhD studies.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 10 Jul 22
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
On completion of this program students should be able to achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Examine learning theories underpinning educational practice and scholarship and apply them effectively within the health education context.
- Analyse contemporary issues within health professional education and their significant influence on the application of educational practice.
- Engage in reflective practice to promote life-long learning.
- Develop sophisticated understandings of the unique nature of learning and teaching in the health context
- Develop educational initiatives that enhance best practice principles in the often unpredictable workplace/clinical health context.
- Evaluate key ethical issues and traditions that inform and shape professional conduct, particularly as these relate to learning and teaching
- Develop a comprehensive and practical understanding of research methods and how to apply these methods to educational research in the healthcare context
- Develop skills in identifying and interrogating hypotheses or research questions
- Create new knowledge by conducting, evaluating and collaboratively reflecting upon defensible research into a health professional educational issue.
The Master of Health Professional Education affords the student an opportunity to extend their educational practice and expertise, including research skills, in a senior role in the public or private health and academic sectors, in addition to being a foundation for future PhD studies or contributing to the evidence base related to their specific employment context.
To be eligible for admission to the Master of Health Professional Education applicants must also meet the following specific requirements:
- As a minimum qualification, a recognised Bachelor degree in a health profession or equivalent professional experience in health professional education, and;
- An active involvement in health professional education – applicants need to demonstrate their teaching experience in a health professional environment which can include but not limited to:
- Any clinical or hospital education-based position, or any position in which they supervise students in daily work routines (for example, people supervising undergraduate nurses, physios, doctors, medical interns, registrars, etc.)
- Work in a health-based school in academia or TAFE
- Work in a multidisciplinary team of health professionals
- Provide education/supervision to members or students
- Work in a health professional context, such as health scientist teaching in a school of medicine or veterinary clinic/hospitals
- People with health professional degrees and working in physio, OT, or social work.
Applications for Advanced Standing and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) will be considered and reviewed on a case by case basis by UNDA's Student Administration.
This Master of Health Professional Education is designed to meet the unique learning needs of health professional educators in medicine, nursing and allied health settings in academic and/or clinical contexts. The program will provide the learners with a wide repertoire of educational skills that are specifically tailored to a range of learning needs and challenges in contemporary health education contexts. The program encourages you to develop your educational skills in both clinical and non-clinical environments. Acknowledging complex lives and multiple priorities this degree is flexible. The self-directed courses are delivered fully online, allowing content to be accessed at a time, place and pace that best suits you. This qualification will provide a pathway for you as a health professional interested in developing your educational practice, ultimately preparing you to become an exemplary educational leader. Learners will be encouraged to innovate and lead purposeful change in their health professional context.
Recommended Study Pattern
Students may only complete this program under part-time study (no more than 2 subjects per semester).
Complete the following five core subjects:
- MEDI5121 Learning and Facilitation in Health Professional Education
- MEDI5000 Research Methods
- MEDI6008 Professional Practice Project A
- MEDI6009 Professional Practice Project B
- PHIL6020 Ethical Issues in Professional Life
Complete five elective subjects from the following options:
- MEDI5110 Contemporary Issues in Health Professional Education and Leadership
- MEDI5122 Assessing Competence in Health Professional Education
- MEDI5123 Reasoning and Clinical Innovation
- MEDI5124 Coaching and Supervision in Health
- EDUC5116 Designing Curriculum for Effective Learning
- EDUC5117 Principles and Practices of Assessment and Evaluation
To be eligible for the award of Master of Health Professional Education students must complete 175 Units of Credit consisting of the five (5) Compulsory Courses and five (5) Elective Courses giving 125 Units of Credit.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.