Graduate Certificate of Applied Statistics
Develop key statistics skills
Learn how to collect quality data and interpret it. You’ll study statistical concepts and data analysis techniques. Become the critical thinker and problem solver that business, government and research bodies need. Work towards becoming a statistician.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 04 Sep 22
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
On successful completion of the degree you will be able to:
- Demonstrate specialised knowledge of statistical methods.
- Formulate basic statistical models.
- Identify statistical methods for data from a range of statistical applications.
- Evaluate the ethical aspects and implications of professional statistical work.
- Apply appropriate statistical models/methods for various types of data.
- Use suitable modern statistical software packages for a variety of statistical analyses.
- Apply appropriate statistical analyses to address a range of common practical problems.
- Communicate statistical results to a wide range of audiences in multiple modes, including verbally and in writing.
- Business or venture analyst
To apply for this degree students should hold:
- AQF level 7 bachelor's qualification in a related field or recognised equivalent; or
- AQF level 7 bachelor's qualification or recognised equivalent, and approved work experience, professional certification or other recognised prior learning; or
- AQF level 7 bachelor's qualification or recognised equivalent with a WAM of 65
English Proficiency Requirements
The required standard of English for this degree is:
- Academic IELTS of 6.5 overall with minimum 6.0 in each band, or equivalent.
- All applicants to coursework programs at Macquarie University are required to provide evidence of proficiency in English.
- For more information on accepted equivalents, please see English Language Requirements.
With recognition of prior learning (RPL), you could get credit for your prior study and experience, reducing the duration of your studies. Credit is awarded for formal and informal or non-formal learning. Find out more.
The Graduate Certificate of Applied Statistics provides you with knowledge and skills to work as a statistician, analyst or data scientist in a range of industries. This degree is an entry pathway to the Master of Applied Statistics.
Recommended Study Pattern
Choose two of the following subjects:
- Graphics, Multivariate Methods and Data Mining
- Statistical Inference
- Design of Surveys and Experiments
- Introductory Statistics
- Linear Models
- Applied Statistics
- Introduction to Probability
In addition, choose two of the following subjects:
- Generalized Linear Models Approved
- Multivariate Analysis
- Time Series
- Statistical Graphics
- Survival Analysis
- Bayesian Data Analysis
- Modern Computational Statistical Methods
The order in which you study subjects may depend upon when you commence your degree and the pace of your study. Some subjects are only available at certain times of the year.
This postgraduate coursework degree requires completion of four subjects.