On successful completion of the requirements for this degree, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate evidence-based knowledge and skills that meet the competency standards required by professional accrediting bodies and certification organisations
- Apply established theories to knowledge and practice in the discipline of OHSE in an Australian and International business context
- Master and apply practice skills in the discipline of OHSE with reference to legislation and industry standards
- Apply professional and community ethical and legal standards to practice
- Apply twenty-first century communication skills and high-level, professional interpersonal skills.
OHSE professional practitioners are in demand because of the increasing focus on the management of occupational health, safety and environmental processes in accordance with the law and regulatory requirements. Graduates of this degree are likely to have increased opportunities across a wide range of professions and industries.
To be eligible for admission to the course, an applicant must have completed the following prerequisites:
- Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline; or
- Bachelor degree in a different discipline and evidence of a minimum five years industry experience; or
- At least five years of relevant professional experience
In special circumstances, applicants can submit a proposal alongside a formal application, demonstrating their knowledge, experience, and skills are such that they are likely to succeed in the program.
Work and Life
Applicants without a degree who have appropriate professional work experience may be considered for entry at the Graduate Certificate level of the program.
English Proficiency Requirements
IELTS minimum score is 6.5
RPL or Credit may be granted according to ACU policies and applicants are advised to contact the Degree Administrator.
This graduate certificate is more than just an occupational health and safety degree. In addition to learning about hazard identification, risk assessment and applying control measures and monitoring their effectiveness, you will also study environmental assessment and modelling, environmental and safety law, managerial skills and business administration issues.
A postgraduate qualification in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management (OHSEM) is in high demand thanks to the recent introduction of national legislation and the increasing focus on ensuring OHSEM and Work Health and Safety (WHS) requirements are met in organisations.
Recommended Study Pattern
All Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management students are advised to start the degree with the introductory subject OHSE601 Principles of OHSE Management.
To qualify for the award of Graduate Certificate in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management students must complete four subjects.