Warning! There have been changes to the course - please refer to the transition information
Warning! This is a restricted degree. Subject enrolment is only available to students admitted into this degree.
Graduate Certificate in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management
Prevent personal harm and environmental degradation
Study environmental assessment and modelling, hazard identification, risk, control measures, environmental law, safety law, accident investigation, managerial skills and business administration. Career options in a range of professions and industries.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 11 Jul 21
- 07 Nov 21
Established in 1991 after amalgamating four eastern Australian Catholic tertiary institutes, Australian Catholic University now has seven campuses, from Brisbane to Melbourne and welcomes students of all beliefs. Specialising in arts, business, education, health sciences, law, theology and philosophy, ACU encourages its students to think critically and ethically and bring change to their communities and offer this online through Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of the requirements for this degree, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate evidence-based knowledge and skills that meet the competency standards required by professional accrediting bodies and certification organisations
- Apply established theories to knowledge and practice in the discipline of OHSE in an Australian and International business context
- Master and apply practice skills in the discipline of OHSE with reference to legislation and industry standards
- Apply professional and community ethical and legal standards to practice
- Apply twenty-first century communication skills and high-level, professional interpersonal skills.
OHSE professional practitioners are in demand because of the increasing focus on the management of occupational health, safety and environmental processes in accordance with the law and regulatory requirements. Graduates of this degree are likely to have increased opportunities across a wide range of professions and industries.
To be eligible for admission to the degree, an applicant must have completed the following prerequisites:
- Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline; or
- Bachelor degree in a different discipline and evidence of a minimum five years industry experience
Work and Life
Students may apply based on:
- At least five years of relevant professional experience
In special circumstances, applicants can submit a proposal alongside a formal application, demonstrating their knowledge, experience, and skills as such that they are likely to succeed in the program.
English Proficiency Requirements
Students whose first language is not English must have either:
- successfully completed at least one full-time year of study in secondary or higher education where the medium of study was English; or
- demonstrated their English proficiency, as set out below.
IELTS: minimum overall score of 6.5 with individual scores of 6.0 in all tests Or
PTE: 61 with a minimum of 50 in all four communicative skills Or
TOEFL: Internet based total of 90: with a minimum of 25 for writing Or
CAE: Overall CAE of 176. Minimum individual score of 169 in all tests.
RPL or credit may be granted according to ACU policies. Applicants are advised to contact the degree administrator.
This graduate certificate is more than just an occupational health and safety degree. In addition to learning about hazard identification, risk assessment and applying control measures and monitoring their effectiveness, you will also study environmental assessment and modelling, environmental and safety law, managerial skills and business administration issues.
A postgraduate qualification in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management (OHSEM) is in high demand thanks to the recent introduction of national legislation and the increasing focus on ensuring OHSEM and Work Health and Safety (WHS) requirements are met in organisations.
Recommended Study Pattern
All Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management students are advised to start the degree with the introductory subject OHSE601 Principles of OHSE Management.
To qualify for the award of Graduate Certificate in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management students must complete four subjects.
From 2019, OHSE612 Occupational Health and Wellbeing will be replacing OHSE604 OHSE Law in Practice. Students who have already successfully completed OHSE604 do NOT need to complete OHSE612.
Choose subjects to begin.
You can apply for government funding or pay up-front.