Graduate Certificate in Bioethics
Build a foundation for ethical decisions in health and science
Start by developing your awareness of today’s bioethical issues, including transhumanism and genomics. Then, study the theory you’ll need to effectively debate and make ethical decisions. Engage with experts to build your knowledge and confidence.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon successful completion of the Graduate Certificate in Bioethics, graduates will be able to:
- Critically analyse knowledge and understanding of principles, debates, and arguments in bioethics with a focus on traditional and contemporary approaches to bioethics including religious, secularist and humanist
- Demonstrate philosophical and analytical skills to generate and evaluate complex ideas and concepts in bioethics at an abstract level, including presenting them in debate and in the public square
- Apply critical insight in bioethical knowledge and skills to professional practice
This program enhances the career opportunities available to those already working in the area of Bioethics.
To be eligible for admission to the Graduate Certificate in Bioethics applicants must meet both the following two (2) specific requirements.
- A bachelor degree (or equivalent) in a related field of study, such as medicine, health sciences, life sciences, law, philosophy, or social sciences; and
- one year of full-time (or equivalent) related professional experience or a related postgraduate qualification
Courses are fully online but not-self-paced and require students to attend zoom classes at scheduled times.
Applications for Advanced Standing and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) will be considered and reviewed on a case by case basis by UNDA's Student Administration.
The Graduate Certificate in Bioethics explores major societal issues in relation to new technologies in medicine, science, law, politics, and philosophy. This program is designed for professional people who require a strong foundation for bioethical decision-making. This necessitates integrating theory and practice. The program provides the basis for understanding debates within clinical, legal, philosophical and theological bioethics. Contemporary bioethics explores issues that have been debated for centuries. However, scientific developments in the middle of the twentieth century, exploded into the multitude of bioethical issues that we deal with today. These have included organ transplantation, genomics, abortion, assisted reproduction, euthanasia, information technology, artificial intelligence, transhumanism, and freedom of conscience. This program allows professionals from various disciplines to both learn from and engage with leading experts in this important field of study. A particular emphasis of this bioethics program is developing a community of inquiry for people working in disciplines that are regularly confronted by bioethical issues. Graduates will learn to understand and apply a structured approach to bioethical decision-making from a range of perspectives.
Recommended Study Pattern
To receive the Graduate Certificate of Bioethics, students must complete 4 subjects, consisting of:
- PHIL6210 Philosophy of the Human Person
- MEDI6006 Contemporary Issues in Bioethics
- MEDI6007 Putting Bioethics into Practice
- LAWS6008 International Perspectives on Bioethics and Law
To receive the Graduate Certificate in Bioethics, students must complete 4 subjects
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.