How to become a product designer
Pathways to this career
- Complete a recognised qualification in product design such as a certificate IV in design or bachelor degree majoring in product design.
- Build your portfolio to showcase your previous work, mock product designs or any other projects that can demonstrate your skills to employers.
- Set up an online platform such as a blog, website or social media account to showcase your portfolio digitally.
What does a product designer do?Product designers work with a team of digital professionals to create great online products like websites and apps. They have an innate understanding of intuitive design and aim to reduce user friction. Product designers transform ideas into useful and appealing products.
Duties and tasks
- Conduct user research to understand user needs and user flows.
- Contribute to high-level strategic conversations to understand business needs.
- Practice design thinking methods, produce user journey maps and product design story boards.
- Use design and prototyping tools to deliver sketches, wireframes, and mockups.
- Consider constraints including budget, usability and timeframes.
- Test solutions and present results to the business, add features, and continue testing.
Discover related courses
The Digital Economy
- Bachelor of Arts (Digital Experience and Interaction Design) (Digital and Social Media)
- Bachelor of Arts (Fine Art) (Digital and Social Media)
- Bachelor of Arts (Digital and Social Media)
- Bachelor of Arts (Digital and Social Media) (Visual Culture)
- Bachelor of Arts (Digital and Social Media) (Professional Writing and Publishing)
- Bachelor of Communications
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Arts (Professional Writing and Publishing)
Step up your career with these resources
What is an office administrator and what do they do?
Office administrators are the unofficial chief organisational officers of the workplace. They make sure their colleagues have the right tools and environment to do their jobs seamlessly.
11 project management short courses you can study online
Learn how to lead an important work project before the year is over. These online project management courses only take 10-16 weeks to complete.
Career planning: What can you do with an MBA?
There are so many ways you can use a Master of Business Administration to get ahead in your career, and they aren’t just in the business world. Let’s look at what else is out there.