Design Thinking and Digital Innovation
Learn to think by putting the consumer first. Ask ‘what do consumers want?’ and use these insights to design. Learn by developing an app that helps consumers achieve their goals. Enhance your problem-solving skills.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 20 Sep 2021
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Understand business and social environments and how digital innovation contributes strategic value within an organisational context and beyond.
- Define a problem demonstrating a clear understanding of its context, including cultural and ethical considerations.
- Ideate and investigate a range of alternative solutions to a defined problem.
- Iteratively evolve a solution using prototyping techniques.
- Explore and evaluate the implications of a range of possible solutions.
- Propose and justify a preferred solution by developing a solid argument and conveying it to a range of stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders.
- Introduction to design thinking and digital innovation
- Understanding ‘you’ and design
- Creativity and innovation
- Design thinking framework – Stage 1 – Empathy
- Design thinking framework – Stage 2 – Problem definition
- Design thinking framework – Stage 3 – Ideating
- Design thinking framework – Stage 4 – Prototyping
- Design thinking framework – Stage 5 – Usability testing
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
Challenge your comfort zone. Get creative by brainstorming ideas and possibilities for a viable digital innovation using contemporary design thinking approaches. Work your way through each of the five stages of the design thinking process (empathy, problem definition, ideation, prototyping and testing).
Design thinking is about placing the consumer first. Digital innovation is asking ‘what do consumers want?’. As part of your major project, you will develop an app that helps consumers achieve their goals – whether that be through developing solutions for real-time in-store pricing or mobile-centric biometric authentication.
Enhance your problem-solving skills and tackle problems from a range of perspectives. Gain the skills to employ innovative approaches to tackle organisational problems.
At the end of your course, you’ll learn to plan, structure and deliver a winning pitch that could lead to a business opportunity.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a first-year course from UniSA Online’s Bachelor of IT and Data Analytics degree.
- Continuous Assessment (50%)
- Portfolio (50%)
Current study term: 19 Sep 21 to 26 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.