How to become a graphic designer
Pathways to this career
- Study a course in graphic design.
- Gain insight into similar fields like digital media, visual communication design and multimedia. There's more than one pathway to becoming a graphic designer.
- Build a portfolio that reflects your passions, areas of expertise and emerging skills. Design is all about showing potential employers what you're capable of.
- Join a likeminded community online, such as associations like the Design Institute of Australia to keep up-to-date with industry information.
What does a graphic designer do?Graphic designers use software and techniques to create visual communications. They work on corporate branding, logo designs, advertisements, web design, product packaging, magazines and TV commercials. They should have strong artistic and technical abilities and be able to understand client aspirations for designs.
Duties and tasks
- Combine words, images and symbols to create visual representations of concepts, products and messages.
- Design drawings, sketches or visual images of designs for clients to review.
- Direct creation of design production in selected media, working with necessary staff such as technicians, developers, printers and programmers.
- Evaluate client requests and offer design ideas that meet all aspects of clients desires; modify designs according to clients wishes.
- Plan budget and working schedules for design creation and production.
- Recommend best materials and media for publication and display according to projected outcome of design or website.
- Use a variety of software and functions including page layout, typography and visual arts to produce technical and aesthetically pleasing designs.
The Australian Computer Society (ACS)
ACS is the association for Australia's information and communications technology (ICT) profession.
- The Australian Graphic Design Association (AGDA)
AGDA is the peak national organisation for professional graphic designers. It was founded in 1988 to facilitate the advancement of the graphic design profession in Australia.
- The Design Institute of Australia (DIA)
DIA is Australia's professional membership body for designers and design businesses.
- Art Director
- Games Developer
- Interior Designer
- Multimedia Developer
- Textile Designer
- Visual Merchandiser
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.