How to become a UI designer
Pathways to this career
- Complete a recognised short course in graphic design, web design or user experience (UX).
- Take your skills to the next level with a digital design degree.
- Build and develop your skills, eye for design and understanding of UI with practice and experience.
- Seek out resources and communities where you can share your work, get feedback, network and learn from others in the field.
- Stay up to date with industry news and UX developments as the industry best practice is constantly evolving.
- Develop your digital portfolio to showcase past work, mock UI designs or any other projects that demonstrate your style and design thinking.
What does a UI designer do?User interface or user interaction designers visualise and design user interfaces. They bring their art and graphic design skills to digital projects and they focus on how things look. UI designers aim to produce beautiful on-brand visual experiences.
Duties and tasks
- Consider colours, shapes, sizes, and other elements of aesthetics.
- Call on libraries and patterns within design systems or design languages to ensure visual consistency.
- Bring wireframes to life with images, colours, fonts, icons, and animations.
- Consider accessibility and champion equal opportunity to access digital products for users with disabilities.
- Test, improve, and retest visual designs.
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.