How to become a social media manager
Pathways to this career
- Seek out industry recognised short courses and certifications in digital marketing, advertising or social media management.
- Study an undergraduate marketing degree to build your foundations of marketing and discover new ways to reach your audience.
- Seek out traineeships or internships for on-the-job opportunities and hone your skills in the real digital world.
- Find your tribe online. Research industry networks, communities and chats, and stay connected with others in social media management.
What does a social media manager do?
A social media manager plans, creates and administers an organisations social marketing and advertising.
Duties and tasks
- Responsible for establishing a social media strategy.
- Develop a brand identity and administer an organisations social media accounts.
- Establish a content calendar and post updates to social media accounts.
- Create content and optimise for search engine optimisation (SEO).
- Social outreach and answering questions or comments from followers.
- Share relevant posts with followers, including influencers.
- Build, monitor and evaluate social media campaigns.
- Advertising executive
- Advertising specialist
- Digital marketing manager
- Managing director
- Marketing executive
- Marketing professional
- Media producer presenter
- Public relations professional
- Writer editor
Discover related courses
Digital and Social Media Project
- Bachelor of Arts (Digital and Social Media)
- Bachelor of Arts (Digital and Social Media) (Professional Writing and Publishing)
- Bachelor of Arts (Digital and Social Media) (Visual Culture)
- Bachelor of Arts (Digital Experience and Interaction Design) (Digital and Social Media)
- Bachelor of Arts (Fine Art) (Digital and Social Media)
Digital and Social Media Marketing