How to become a writer or editor
What does a writer or editor do?Writers transform ideas and concepts in pieces of written content. Editors polish and refine writers’ work—checking spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Finished work can be published as print or online content in newspapers, handbooks, manuals, or works of fiction.
Duties and tasks
- Appear in public to promote latest works.
- Find places to publish works.
- At times, teach creative writing courses.
- Edit works for clarity, cohesiveness, and quality.
- Formulate ideas for creative works.
- Outline and plan the broad outlines of works.
- Write drafts of stories, plays, novels, etc.
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised the ease of online study, Edward's goals went from squeezing through with a 'pass', to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.