How to become a human resources professional
What does a human resources professional do?HR professionals maximise a business’s investment in staffing. They work hard to recruit the right people, keep them safe and happy in the workplace, and if retention is no longer viable, offboard employees fairly and efficiently.
Duties and tasks
- Collect job vacancy information and advertise job openings internally and externally on career websites and other resources and narrow applicant pool based on position qualifications.
- Evaluate legislation, employment contracts, salary payment procedures and dispute settlement actions to advise organisations policies.
- Facilitate the orientation of new employees including collecting and completing all required paperwork, specifying job expectations and salary, benefits and other details.
- Generate cooperative contracts such as salary adjustment procedures, policies for relations in the workplace and implementation of updates.
- Give management information and feedback regarding policies and procedures in the workplace, employee assessments and corrective matters.
- Handle disagreements and grievances in the workplace and discuss terms of employment.
- Manage employee records and human resources data systems.
- Australian Human Resources Institute
- The Recruitment, Consulting and Staffing Association Australia & New Zealand (RCSA)
Discover online human resources courses
Discover online HR subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Do you need a masters to work in a library?
Librarians play an important role in keeping information accessible and helping people find what they need. But what qualifications do you actually need to become a librarian in Australia?
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.