How to become an occupational health & safety professional
What does a occupational health & safety professional do?
Duties and tasks
- Collect samples of hazardous materials.
- Conduct audits at hazardous waste sites and participates in investigations.
- Conduct safety classes and educational programs, such as "right-to-know" programs.
- Develop and implements occupational and environmental management plans.
- Investigate the adequacy of exhaust equipment, lighting, temperature, etc. that could affect an employees health or work performance.
- Maintain and updates emergency response plans.
- Record and investigates injuries and malfunctioning equipment to identify causes and to determine how such accidents can be prevented in the future.
- Environmental scientist
- Food safety auditor
- Food safety officer
- Food technologist
- Health inspector
- Health promotion practitioner
- Health surveyor
- Pest and weed controller
- Primary products inspector
- Safety inspector
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Principles of OHSE Management
- Graduate Certificate in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management
- Graduate Diploma in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management
- Master of Occupational Health, Safety & Environmental Management
- Postgraduate Single Subjects
- Master of Business Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Practice
Step up your career with these resources
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised the ease of online study, Edward's goals went from squeezing through with a 'pass', to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.