How to become a general manager
Pathways to this career
- You need considerable work experience and a bachelor’s degree for most general manager roles.
- Complete a Bachelor of Business Administration
- Open more doors with postgraduate study, from a graduate certificate in business to a Master of Business Administration (MBA).
- Gain plenty experience across the management of people and processes within an organisation.
- Be sure you can demonstrate successful management of profit and loss within an organisation or business when seeking employment as a general manager.
What does a general manager do?General Managers lead, plan, organise, direct and review the day-to-day operations of commercial, industrial, government and defence organisations.
Tasks and duties
- Plan policy, set standards and objectives for organisations.
- Provide day-to-day direction, endorse policy to fulfil objectives, achieve specific goals, and maximise profit and efficiency.
- Consult with staff and departmental heads on methods of operation, equipment requirements, finance, sales and human resources.
- Authorise funding of project and policy initiatives.
- prepare reports, budgets and forecasts.
- Select and manage the performance of senior staff.
Step up your career with these resources
Do you need a masters to work in a library?
Librarians play an important role in keeping information accessible and helping people find what they need. But what qualifications do you actually need to become a librarian in Australia?
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.