How to become a solicitor
Pathways to this career
- Study an undergraduate law degree, or a double degree with law as one of your majors.
- If you have a degree in another field, complete a study a graduate entry Bachelor of Law, a Juris Doctor or Master of Law.
- Complete Practical Legal Training (PLT). This involves 18-24 months of supervised practice.
- After concluding your PLT, apply for admission and earn a practising certificate through your state's admission authorities.
What does a solicitor do?Solicitors work to provide a range of legal documents. In addition, they provide legal advice and investigate on legal matters. Solicitors represent their clients in court and can prepare and review a wide range of legal documents. They provide their clients with legal advice based on the feedback and facts that they receive for particular situations.
Duties and tasks
- Act as legal representatives in court cases.
- Engage in interviews with clients to gather information.
- Prepare cases for court.
- Prepare legal documents such as wills, contracts of sales and other contracts.
- Review contracts.
- Work with clients to determine their legal needs.
- Law Council of Australia
- The Law Society of NSW
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Queensland Law Society
- Law Society of South Australia
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Law Society of Tasmania
- Law Society Northern Territory
- Law Society of the ACT
- Solicitor labour market research reports
Discover online law courses
Discover online law subjects
Step up your career with these resources
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.
Adriana is using her nutrition degree to make a difference
With her Bachelor of Food and Nutrition, Adriana educates others about the impact food can have on the body.