How to become a solicitor
Pathways to this career
- Study an undergraduate law degree, or a double degree with law as one of your majors.
- If you have a degree in another field, complete a study a graduate entry Bachelor of Law, a Juris Doctor or Master of Law.
- Complete Practical Legal Training (PLT). This involves 18-24 months of supervised practice.
- After concluding your PLT, apply for admission and earn a practising certificate through your state's admission authorities.
What does a solicitor do?Solicitors work to provide a range of legal documents. In addition, they provide legal advice and investigate on legal matters. Solicitors represent their clients in court and can prepare and review a wide range of legal documents. They provide their clients with legal advice based on the feedback and facts that they receive for particular situations.
Duties and tasks
- Act as legal representatives in court cases.
- Engage in interviews with clients to gather information.
- Prepare cases for court.
- Prepare legal documents such as wills, contracts of sales and other contracts.
- Review contracts.
- Work with clients to determine their legal needs.
- Law Council of Australia
- The Law Society of NSW
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Queensland Law Society
- Law Society of South Australia
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Law Society of Tasmania
- Law Society Northern Territory
- Law Society of the ACT
- Solicitor labour market research reports
Discover online law courses
Discover online law subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.