How to become an interior decorator
Pathways to this career
- Complete a recognised certification, an undergraduate course in interior design or an interior decoration short course. Industry-based courses may give you an employment edge.
- Advance your skills as an interior decorator through postgraduate qualifications in interior design or architecture.
- Seek out assistant roles or internships to gain hands-on experience. You'll be able to grow your expertise under the guidance of well-established, professional interior decorators.
- Build a striking portfolio of your best work, your passion projects and small jobs. Appeal to design agencies or private clients by creating a professional website to showcase your work.
What does an interior decorator do?
Duties and tasks
- Collaborate with clients to understand their requests and offer decoration ideas that meet all aspects of clients desires including overall effect and budget.
- Create drawings, sketches or visual images of decorations for clients to review.
- Evaluate the relation between technical and visual applications of furniture, lighting, decor and layout of spaces to create the ideal balance between functionality and appearance.
- Manage the decoration process, using a variety of art, colour schemes, patterns, furniture and accessories to create visual effect and atmosphere of rooms and spaces.
- Plan budget for furniture and decorations according to clients budget and create working schedules for delivery and decoration of spaces.
- Recommend or meet with clients to pick out best materials and decoration to create and enhance interior environment according to desired atmosphere of living or work space.
- Understand how to use colour schemes, patterns, fabrics and material options to create ideal interior environment based on client satisfaction; stay up-to-date on latest decor and popular themes, colour patterns and decorations.
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Do you need a masters to work in a library?
Librarians play an important role in keeping information accessible and helping people find what they need. But what qualifications do you actually need to become a librarian in Australia?
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.