How to become an artist
What does an artist do?
Duties and tasks
- Ability to analyse drawings, designs and customer needs to create the desired product.
- Design and develop ideas and styles for pottery and ceramic art pieces, conceptualising functional or abstract art pieces.
- Identify and work with appropriate ceramic materials for specific job requirements.
- Mix appropriate glazing materials and dip or paint them onto dried pottery.
- Mould clay and pottery materials into artistic and functional pieces using pottery wheels, carving with tools, moulding and hand techniques.
- Place finished and decorated pottery items into kilns to set.
- Safely operate machines and tools required for creation of products such as pottery wheels.
- Manufacturing Skills Australia
- National Association for the Visual Arts Ltd
- The Australian Ceramics Association
- Art teacher
- Arts and crafts professional
- Ephemeral artist
- Kiln operator
- Painter or visual artist
- Textile artist
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.