Interior Designers plan, design and draft specifications to create a functional and aesthetically pleasing interior environment. They utilize space and organise it in a way that enriches living and work spaces for residential and commercial areas. They should have a solid understanding of space functions as well as the ways in which design and decoration enhance work efficiency or psychological well-being. Many interior designers specialize in certain areas of design.
Duties and tasks
- Create drawings, sketches or visual images of designs for clients to review
- Manage design production including working with necessary staff such as carpenters, furniture suppliers, architects, programmers and decorators to construct the interior space
- Plan budget and working schedules for design of spaces and overall production
- Recommend best materials and decoration to create and enhance interior environment according to desired atmosphere of living or work space
- Strong knowledge of spatial organisation, colour schemes, patterns, fabrics and material options to create interior designs; stay up-to-date on latest design concepts and popular layouts and d¿cor
- Understand the relation between technical and visual applications of furniture, lighting, d¿cor and layout of spaces to create the ideal balance between functionality and appearance
- Work with clients to understand their requests and offer design ideas that meet all aspects of clients desires including overall effect and budget; modify designs according to clients wishes
- Artistic Abilities
- Critical Thinking
- Organisation Skills
- Visual Communication Skills
Working conditionsInterior Designers usually work in offices, workshops, design studios and interior construction spaces to design and oversee interior design production. They typically work regular Monday to Friday hours, but may need to work evenings or weekends in order to meet deadlines or to meet with other individuals working on the project. Designers may need to travel to meet with clients and stakeholders.
Professional associations / Industry information
The Design Institute of Australia (DIA) The Design Institute of Australia (DIA) is Australia's professional membership body for designers and design businesses.
Related jobs and job titles
- Graphic Designer
- Interior Decorator
- Interior Designer
- Textile Designer