Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
- 03 Feb 2020
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Identify and describe skills, techniques, practices and processes used in professional communication
- Analyse and evaluate relevance and effectiveness of communication tools and strategies in a business context
- Analyse and apply communication skills, styles, techniques and methods
- Evaluate relevant behaviours, principles and perspectives in the workplace to generate plans for professional development and develop personal philosophies around communication.
- Introduction and ways we communicate
- Communicating with one another: Verbal and nonverbal communication in study and the workplace
- Conflict and barriers to communication. Having difficult conversations and using negotiation skills
- Group communication - Active vs Passive listening
- Written communication styles
- Intercultural communication
- Communication in 2020: Understanding and using new technology for communicating. Knowing your audience and developing effective presentation skills for today
- Editing and revising your message
- Colloquialisms, jargon and non-business (or academic) language
- Recap and conclusion: Take away messages
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
The Professional Communication unit introduces you to effective professional communication techniques and practices applicable to the workplace and study. You will learn about your personal communication style, different types of communication behaviour, active listening and conflict resolution. In addition, you will have opportunities to develop effective business writing skills and presentation skills. Your learning will take place through diverse practical activities in workshops and tutorials, along with online materials and learning tasks.
- Communication styles quiz (5%)
- Communication mind map (15%)
- Recorded informal interview + reflection (30%)
- Video presentation: My communication philosophy (50%)
Textbooks are not required.