- Recursively defined sequences and their applications.
- Plotting in two and three dimensions.
- Graphical and iterative solutions of equations.
- Minima and maxima of functions.
- Base conversion and computer arithmetic.
- Counting and discrete probability theory.
- Matrix theory and its implementation in MATLAB.
- Logic and Boolean algebra.
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Online Assessment
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
MAS110 Fundamentals of Mathematics OR a final scaled score of 55% or more in ATAR Mathematics Applications or WACE Mathematics 2C/2D OR a final scaled score of 50% or more in ATAR Mathematics Methods or WACE Mathematics 3A/3B (or higher) OR equivalent.
- SoftwareDetails - MATLAB & Simulink Student Suite (https://au.mathworks.com/store/link/products/student/SV?s_tid=ac_buy_sv_button)
In this subject, students will learn to use the prominent mathematical computer package MATLAB to perform basic mathematical procedures and to solve problems in the general area of discrete mathematics. Topics include: recurrence relations, solving equations graphically and iteratively, computer arithmetic, basics of counting and discrete probability, matrices and linear transformations of the plane, propositional and predicate logic, mathematical induction, Boolean algebra and logic networks.
1. Problem Solving Task - A set of mathematical problems that need to be solved by hand or by computer (using MATLAB) 2. Examination - Final examination will test comprehension of all the subject content.
- Problem Solving Task (30%)
- Invigilated examination (70%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.