Fundamentals of Mathematics
Get credit for uni level maths and multiple your maths knowledge. Prepare for study success in higher level maths subjects. From algebra and matrices, to calculating exponential and logarithm functions. Get equated with maths and add to your skills.
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 22,000 students and 2,000 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- perform basic algebra including rational expressions and exponents
- work with systems of linear equations and matrices
- work with inequalities, absolute value
- use and graph functions in Cartesian plane
- work with trigonometric functions and radians
- calculate simple limits and finite and infinite points
- calculate derivatives of powers, exponential and logarithmic functions
- use product, quotient and chain rules
- solve simple optimisation problems involving differentiation.
- Straight lines and linear functions
- Systems of linear equations and matrices
- Precalculus review
- Functions: their graphs and limits
- Trigonometric functions
- Slopes of curves and derivatives
- More on derivatives
- Exponential and logarithmic functions
- Higher order derivatives and applications
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
Mathematics up to year 10 in Australian high schools provides sufficient background. UniSA's subject, ENR102 Essential Mathematics 2: Calculus, is considered as an equivalent of this subject.
No special requirements
This for-credit subject is a preparatory mathematics subject intended for students who have not completed secondary school mathematics and who have insufficient background for the more advanced mathematics required for success in MAS120 and MAS130. The topics covered include algebra; polynomials, exponential and logarithmic functions and their graphs; matrices; basic concepts of differential and integral calculus and applications.
- Assignments x 4 (30%)
- Invigilated Exam (70%)