Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Early Childhood Professional Experience 1: Learning and Teaching in Junior Primary
Get practical with work placement and a digital portfolio. Prepare a sequenced teaching plan, bringing context, theory and needs together. Study health, safety and wellbeing maintenance for students.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Aug 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- review the progression of development of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers and evidence in a prepared digital professional portfolio
- synthesize understandings developed in the unit to prepare and implement a sequenced teaching plan for learning, teaching and assessing in Junior primary taking into consideration contextual factors, children’s needs and theoretical approaches
- evaluate and implement assessment strategies, moderation procedures and reporting to stakeholders for children aged six to eight years old
- examine and explain strategies in which children’s health, safety and wellbeing can be maintained in educational settings
- use effective communication skills and maintain positive learning environments in primary school settings.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
EDE222 is an anti requisite to EDE220. If you have completed EDE222 you do not need to enrol into EDE220
- PlacementDetails - This subject includes a 2-week professional experience placement in a school. placements are undertaken on a full-time basis in a continuous block. Please note that all relevant, valid working with children checks and clearances must be provided as requested prior to commencement of the placement.
This is the first in the suite of professional experience subjects and includes both a theory and a practical component (a placement in a school). This subject focuses on children aged six to eight years old in school settings. Provided is a comprehensive overview of theory and practices in establishing and creating emotionally supportive, equitable, healthy, safe and effective learning environments that achieve desired current curriculum outcomes. Students are supported in both the theory and practical components of the subject to become reflective educators who critique and apply their knowledge of multiple pedagogies, the curriculum, their role as a facilitator, design elements of a rich learning environment, and a range of approaches to authentically practise, document and assess learning. The professional experience practical assessment is a three (3) week full-time block placement with children aged six to eight years old in school-based settings intended to enable practical application of knowledge and skills covered in the theory, along with providing further insights into the complexity of the teacher’s role. All required clearances to work with children must be obtained and valid, and all other professional experience requirements met. Both theory and practical components must be passed in order to pass the subject.
To view the Practicum Calendar, please see below:
EDE220, EDE310, EDE360 Placement Calendar 2019 (PDF, 42KB)
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Learning and Teaching Report (50%)
- Professional Task (50%)
- Professional Experience Placement (Pass/Fail%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more: