The Professional Educator: Developing Teacher Identity
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Feb 2019
- 26 Aug 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- assess personal levels of competence and confidence about language and literacy and successfully implement a plan to meet required standards
- demonstrate understanding of academic integrity practices within the learning context in relation to conduct, values, communication and protocols
- analyse potential challenges and resources related to developing resilience as an educator
- appraise, in the context of developing teacher identities, one’s own ethical and socio-cultural values with particular consideration of the planetary citizenship of educators; cultural diversity and Indigenous peoples’ knowledges and cultures; and the ethical and legislative responsibilities of educators
- employ knowledge of the Graduate Teacher Standards to establish initial content for a digital professional portfolio; and identify and adopt a reflective practice model to guide its ongoing development.
- Assessing personal language and literacy competence
- Academic integrity
- The Australian Professional Standards for Teachers and Documenting Evidence
- Becoming a teacher: cultural competence awareness
- Becoming a teacher: identity
- Teacher Resilience
- Becoming a teacher: global citizenship
- Teaching in the 21st century – understanding learning and learners
- Reflective practice
- Values and the ethical practitioner
- Pedagogy and The Australian Curriculum
- My Professional Teacher ePortfolio
- Review & reflection
- Standard Media
- Online assignment submission
- Web links
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This subject introduces students to the course and the expectations of them as they develop into successful university students and future educators.
Students will explore theories of learning and position themselves as learners. This includes undertaking a language competency assessment and exploring the concept of academic integrity with its attendant expectations for research, written communication and oral presentation in academic and professional contexts.
Within the broad concept of education, the development of teacher identity will be informed by an examination of one’s own ethical and socio-cultural values with consideration of educators’ planetary citizenship; cultural diversity and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples; along with an educator’s ethical and legislated professional responsibilities, including completion of necessary clearances. It also includes an exploration of personal resilience as an educator.
A key component of the subject will be establishing the Digital Professional Portfolio in which students critically reflect and gather evidence of their capabilities against the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (Graduate Teacher Standards) throughout the duration of the course.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Language Assessment (0%)
- Essay (50%)
- Digital Professional Portfolio (50%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.
Bachelor of Education Secondary Education
- Core Education Subjects - Unrestricted
- Major in The Arts (Visual Arts) Education
- Major in English Education
- Major in Humanities and Social Sciences Education