The Numerate Educator
Develop your personal mathematics competency and confidence. Explore mathematical language and ways of communicating ideas with words, pictures and symbols, then study early number teaching and algebra from a conceptual standpoint.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 May 2023
- 27 Nov 2023
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, their online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Learn more about Curtin.
Explore Curtin courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- develop personal numeracy through engaging with NAPLAN items, LANTITE pre-test, and online exercises and tutorials
- analyse relevant Australian Curriculum: Mathematics documents and identify how key ideas are linked across the strands
- demonstrate mathematical content knowledge and pedagogical content knowledge appropriate for teaching early number and algebra to a diverse range of learners, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- identify components of professional practice in mathematics including constructivist approaches to mathematics education, the use of digital technologies and identifying misconceptions
- Personal Mathematics Competency
- NAPLAN - What is it and what does it do?
- Constructivist teaching approaches
- MCK and PCK for effective teaching of early number and algebra
- Early number and algebra experiences to cater for all learners
- Place value and the base ten number system
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- CUR-EDC141-The Numerate Educator (No longer available)
No additional requirements
This subject was previously known as EDC141 The Numerate Educator.
This subject is the first in a series of mathematics education units for educators. In this subject, the focus is on mathematical content knowledge, pedagogical content knowledge and personal numeracy. Content and proficiencies in all strands of the Australian Curriculum: Mathematics will be developed across Foundation to Year 3, with particular emphasis on teaching Early Number and Algebra. Students will initially attend to their personal numeracy with preliminary preparation for LANTITE and engagement with online exercises and tutorials.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Professional Practice (15%)
- Evaluation and discussion of test items (35%)
- Essay - Effective Teaching (50%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).