The Numerate Educator
Develop your personal mathematics competency and confidence. Explore mathematical language and ways of communicating ideas with words, pictures and symbols, then study early number teaching and algebra from a conceptual standpoint.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 May 2019
- 24 Nov 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- demonstrate personal numeracy through flexible application of mathematical understanding and explain the importance of this for effective teaching
- analyse relevant Australian Curriculum Mathematics documents and identify how key ideas are linked across the strands
- demonstrate mathematical content knowledge and pedagogical content knowledge appropriate for teaching early number and algebra from a conceptual standpoint
- identify components of professional practice in mathematics teaching and integrate these with effective planning, curation of current resources and student achievement.
- Personal Mathematics Competency
- Extended Personal Use of Mathematics
- Essential Statistics
- NAPLAN What is it and what does it mean
- Personal numeracy and use of mathematics
- Numeracy in the real world
- Technologies and mathematics
- The Australian Curriculum: Mathematics
- Mathematical language and terminology
- Mathematics of the Human Body
- Mathematics - a history
- Exploring Mathematics and using it to communicate
- Open forum discussion and the review of the unit outcomes
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as EDC141 The Numerate Educator.
This subject is the first in a series of four on mathematical education for educators. In this unit the focus is on mathematical content knowledge and personal numeracy. Skills in all strands of the Australian mathematics curriculum will be developed and the confidence levels of future educators will be addressed. Mathematical language and methods of communicating mathematical ideas with words, pictures and symbols are emphasised. The particular aspects of mathematics required for teaching, including basic statistics and interpretation of research, are covered. The subject examines development of best practice in mathematics lessons in preparation for subsequent subjects.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Personal Competency (20%)
- Questioning (30%)
- Professional Practice (50%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.