Build on your skills to bring a unique concept to life. Play with proven styles, conventions and narrative structures. Compare past and current animation and motion graphic examples. Follow your project from pre-production through to post-production.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 May 2019
- 24 Nov 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- analyse a wide range of past and current animated and time-based works
- visualise and reflect upon the dynamic relationship between space and time, audio and visual mediums of animation
- develop and apply management skills
- implement relevant technical and conceptual skills in project based works
- create an advanced animation or motion graphics work to industry standard
- Fundamental motion through physics
- Action and exaggeration
- Refinement of motion
- Acting for animators – foundations
- Emotion lead action – leveraging persona to animate
- Blocking animation – camera and key poses
- Time and pace
- Phonemes and lip syncing
- Splining and refinement of movement
- Technology and animation
- Animation workshopping
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Book of readings
- Study guide
- Welcome letter
- Resources and Links
- Audio-Video streaming
- Printable format materials
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
Exceptions to the Above: If you are a 3rd year Digital Design Major student who enrolled into the course in 2017 or prior, you will be eligible to enrol in this subject if you have already completed any of the following units: DIG100 Animation Design Intro OR DIG271 Motion Graphics Design Introduction OR DIG272 Universal Design Principles.
- EquipmentDetails - Computer capable of running project-relevant animation software
- OtherDetails -
Relevant Animation Software (eg. Adobe Creative Cloud, Maya, zBrush etc)
This subject provides students with an opportunity to further develop their skills and conceptual approach in the areas of animation, 3D and motion graphics. It encourages students to explore established conventions, visual styles, animation techniques, audio design, narrative structures, and screen language in their own work.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Warm-up Exercises (30%)
- Pre-production Document (30%)
- Final Animation (40%)
Textbooks are not required.
Textbook information is pending.