Animation and Special Effects Compositing
Work in 2D and 3D as you learn about storyboarding, timing, framing, rendering, and grading. Take your project from concept to final presentation. Understand resourcing, development and process. Work towards a career in compositing or animation.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Nov 2019
- 01 Jun 2020
- 30 Nov 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply industry standard digital compositing skills
- create original media elements and/or edit existing elements for compositing use
- develop and reflect upon animations that illustrate the process of layers, filters and effects
- implement the composition of still images, video and 3D elements
- plan the resource needs for a compositing project
- 2D tracking, 3D tracking and camera matching CG to video backplates
- Compositing render layers, 3D integration into backplates
- Colour grading, layer matching
- Successful storyboarding
- Fundamentals of timing, framing, story telling and audio
- Formal presentation of Project Animatic
- Particles, simulation and refinement
- Project development
- Project refinement
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Chat Rooms
- Online assignment submission
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
- EquipmentDetails - Computer capable of running project-relevant animation software
- OtherDetails -
Relevant Animation Software (eg. Adobe Creative Cloud, Maya, zBrush etc)
This subject was previously known as DIG120 Animation and Special Effects Compositing.
This subject develops students’ skills and conceptual approaches in the art of digital compositing. Compositing is the act of blending various visual elements together into a seamless video form. It can be seen in special effects for film, web site banners, TV title sequences, TV commercials, architectural walkthroughs and training simulations. Students will have the opportunity to develop their conceptual approaches and explore the technical possibilities of animation and special effects compositing through hands-on production experimentation.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Exercises (20%)
- Proposal (40%)
- Project (40%)
Textbooks are not required.
Textbook information is pending.