Animation and Game Texture Design
Showcase your creativity and develop your skills in character design, modelling, sculpting, rigging and animation. Learn pipeline and project management approaches used in game asset production. Create characters for games you love to play.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Feb 2022
- 29 Aug 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- synthesize relevant design and cultural research to inform character design solutions
- apply appropriate animation, game pipeline and project management methodologies in animation design
- use relevant technologies to develop a concept in project based works
- demonstrate competency in animation and game asset production
- Character Research and Design
- Character Modeling and Texturing
- Character Rigging and Animation
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
- Equipment requirements - Audio video equipment required. Computer capable of running project-relevant animation software.
- Software requirements - Relevant Animation Software (eg. Adobe Creative Cloud, Maya, zBrush etc)
- Other requirements - Access to the Internet.
This subject develops students' skills and conceptual approaches in areas that are critical to all forms of animation; namely, the creation of textures for characters and objects, digital sculpting, and the application of motion (animation) to characters or objects. Students will have the opportunity to develop their conceptual approaches and explore the technical possibilities of animation and game texture design through hands-on production experimentation.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Character Research and Design (20%)
- Character Modeling and Texturing (40%)
- Character Rigging and Animation (40%)
Current study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
Textbooks are not required.
Next study term: 27 Feb 22 to 29 May 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.