Animation and Game Texture Design
Showcase your creativity and develop your skills in character design, modelling, sculpting, rigging and animation. Learn pipeline and project management approaches used in game asset production. Create characters for games you love to play.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 30 Aug 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- synthesize relevant design and cultural research to inform character design solutions
- apply appropriate animation, game pipeline and project management methodologies in animation design
- use relevant technologies to develop a concept in project based works
- demonstrate competency in animation and game asset production
- Introduction to unit
- Character Design - Creating Form and Function
- Character Modelling - tools of the trade
- Sculpting features and details in characters
- The Wizardry of Textures in games
- Getting Textures Game-ready
- Movement and animation styles of Characters in games
- Rigging Characters 2 - Controllers and Skinning
- Animating in 3D. Animation principles
- 3D Character Animation - Splining using the Graph Editor
- Final Animation polish, game engine implementation and presentation techniques
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
- EquipmentDetails - Computer capable of running project-relevant animation software
- OtherDetails -
Relevant Animation Software (eg. Adobe Creative Cloud, Maya, zBrush etc)
This subject develops students' skills and conceptual approaches in areas that are critical to all forms of animation; namely, the creation of textures for characters and objects, digital sculpting, and the application of motion (animation) to characters or objects. Students will have the opportunity to develop their conceptual approaches and explore the technical possibilities of animation and game texture design through hands-on production experimentation.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Character Research and Design (20%)
- Character Modeling and Texturing (40%)
- Character Rigging and Animation (40%)
Current study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.