Animation and Game Texture Design
Showcase your creativity and develop your skills in character design, modelling, sculpting, rigging and animation. Learn pipeline and project management approaches used in game asset production. Create characters for games you love to play.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 31 Aug 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- synthesize relevant design and cultural research to inform character design solutions
- apply appropriate animation, game pipeline and project management methodologies in animation design
- use relevant technologies to develop a concept in project based works
- demonstrate competency in animation and game asset production
- Introduction to unit
- Character Design - Creating Form and Function
- Character Modelling - tools of the trade
- Sculpting features and details in characters
- The Wizardry of Textures in games
- Getting Textures Game-ready
- Movement and animation styles of Characters in games
- Rigging Characters 2 - Controllers and Skinning
- Animating in 3D. Animation principles
- 3D Character Animation - Splining using the Graph Editor
- Final Animation polish, game engine implementation and presentation techniques
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
- EquipmentDetails - Computer capable of running project-relevant animation software
- OtherDetails -
Relevant Animation Software (eg. Adobe Creative Cloud, Maya, zBrush etc)
This subject develops students' skills and conceptual approaches in areas that are critical to all forms of animation; namely, the creation of textures for characters and objects, digital sculpting, and the application of motion (animation) to characters or objects. Students will have the opportunity to develop their conceptual approaches and explore the technical possibilities of animation and game texture design through hands-on production experimentation.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Character Research and Design (20%)
- Character Modeling and Texturing (40%)
- Character Rigging and Animation (40%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.