Principles of Environmental Management
Get a grounding in organisational environmental management, as you learn about the dual areas of science and management. Engage with concepts including biodiversity, sustainable development, legislation, risk assessment, and auditing.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 May 2019
- 24 Nov 2019
Established in 1991 after amalgamating four eastern Australian Catholic tertiary institutes, Australian Catholic University now has seven campuses, from Brisbane to Melbourne and welcomes students of all beliefs. Specialising in arts, business, education, health sciences, law, theology and philosophy, ACU encourages its students to think critically and ethically and bring change to their communities and offer this online through Open Universities Australia.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Understand environmental management concepts and language sufficiently to be able to communicate effectively with environmental management professionals
- Assess impacts of adverse effects on health and environment within organisations
- Facilitate the control of risks to health or environment in organisations
- Develop strategies to communicate environmental information and data
- Understand concepts of environmental management in a legislative context.
- Introduction to Environmental Science
- Environmental Science Concepts: Ecosystems and Biodiversity
- Environmental Science Concepts: Ecosystems and Sustainable Environment
- Environmental Science Concepts: The Precautionary Principle
- Environmental Science Concepts: Ozone Depletion
- Environmental Science Concepts: Climate Change and Greenhouse Gases
- Environmental Management
- International Conventions for the Environment
- Environmental legislation in Australia
- Environmental Management Systems
- Environmental Impact (Risk) Assessment
- Environmental Auditing
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Streaming Multimedia
- Virtual Classroom
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
- Audio-Video streaming
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- OtherDetails -
Relevant State or Territory Environmental Legislation
This is a synoptic subject that provides an introduction to organisational environmental management, and divided into two halves – (i) environmental science; and (ii) environmental management.
Environmental science concepts include ecosystems, biodiversity, ecologically sustainable development, the precautionary principle, ozone depletion, climate change and greenhouse gases.
Environmental management concepts include environmentally sound development, international conventions for the environment, environmental legislation, environmental management standards, environmental risk assessment and environmental auditing.
- Online Exam (35%)
- Essay (40%)
- Online Discussion (25%)