Occupational Health Safety and Environmental Risk Management
Get to grips with the risk management process, as you learn to apply the theory to real-world scenarios. Deal with threats including hazardous chemicals, infectious agents, and asbestos. Understand how to identify, analyse and respond to hazards.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
- 01 Mar 2021
Established in 1991 after amalgamating four eastern Australian Catholic tertiary institutes, Australian Catholic University now has seven campuses, from Brisbane to Melbourne and welcomes students of all beliefs. Specialising in arts, business, education, health sciences, law, theology and philosophy, ACU encourages its students to think critically and ethically and bring change to their communities and offer this online through Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject students should be able to:
- Explain how specific OHSE hazards lead to adverse effects on health, safety and environment
- Apply information on specific OHSE hazards using the risk assessment/management framework to determine a level of risk
- Describe basic interventions and strategies to control the risk associated with specific hazards with reference to OHSE legislation and standards
- Recommend control measures to peers and key workplace stakeholders using appropriate OHS information, data and communication skills.
- A model of OHSE risk management
- Risk management: noise
- Risk management: thermal comfort
- Risk management: hazardous chemicals
- Risk management: confined spaces
- Risk management: infectious agents
- Risk management: asbestos
- Risk management: electricity
- Risk management: plant/mobile plant
- Risk management: occupational driving
- Risk management: environmental conformance
- Risk management: waste management
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
ACU-OHSE201-Introduction to OHSE Management, or ACU-OHS201 ;
No special requirements
This subject introduces students to basic theory and practice of risk management applied to specific hazards that OHSE professionals typically encounter in modern organisational environments. Risks covered include noise, thermal comfort, hazardous chemicals, confined spaces, infectious agents, asbestos, electricity, plant and hazardous wastes. The focus will be on the risk management process with particular emphasis on processes to identify, analyse and respond to risk exposure within the legislative and organisational context.
- Risk Management Report (40%)
- Online exam (35%)
- Short answer quizzes (25%)
Current study term: 28 Feb 21 to 30 May 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.