Undergraduate Certificate in Small Business
Kick-start your career in today’s business world
An online business course to get you started in the workplace or further business studies. Build on the basics of the contemporary business environment with electives including finance and marketing. Set yourself up for success as a small business owner.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 07 Feb 21
- 27 Jun 21
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Practice and reflect on business knowledge, skills, behaviours, and attributes to develop and enhance career opportunities
- Apply business processes and strategies within the contemporary small business environment
- Communicate recommendations to enable small business improvement
This Undergraduate Certificate is open to applicants from a broad range of backgrounds.
Applicants with previous higher education study:
- Completed at least two units (equivalent to 25 UTAS credit points) of Bachelor level study or four units (equivalent to 50 UTAS credit points) of Associate Degree level study, OR
- Completed the UTAS Diploma of University Studies or University Preparation Program (UPP); OR
- Completed four or more units in the UTAS Diploma of University Studies or UPP with no fail results
Applicants who have recently completed secondary education (in the past two years):
- A minimum ATAR of 40, OR
- Completed the TCE (or equivalent) with a minimum of Satisfactory Achievements (SA) in 5 x Level 2 subjects.
Applicants with previous VET / TAFE study:
- Completed a Certificate III or higher in a related field of study, OR
- Completed a Diploma or Advanced Diploma in any field of study
Work and Life
Applications on the basis of work or life experience:
- If you have not completed any of the above, but have relevant work and life experience you can complete a personal competency statement.
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
The Undergraduate Certificate in Small Business aims to prepare graduates to commence a practitioner pathway with the ability to identify, analyse, and apply on contemporary business concepts and practices in real business contexts through the combination of theory and practice. It does this with an understanding that jobs of the future will be impacted by rapid technological and social change.
Post completion of this qualification, graduates will be able to apply interdisciplinary knowledge and skills in order to:
- Commence a practitioner pathway to become a team leader and/or small business owner in business environments
- Facilitate articulation into the Applied Business diploma and associate degree
The interdisciplinary nature of this qualification draws upon established disciplinary fields such as finance, marketing, and management and facilitates business and wellbeing enhancement through the inclusion of The Wellbeing Toolkit and Lean Thinking.
A key to the distinctiveness of the Undergraduate Certificate in Small Business is its adoption of applied, blended, and online styles of learning. The course requires students to develop knowledge and skills within an authentic learning approach. Students will be able to situate this work within the not-for-profit, for profit, and/or government sectors that operate within the business environment context. Student performance will be measured via a schedule of assessment tasks which exemplify authenticity and enable students to evidence their learning in their own Practice Manual.
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended.
Year 1. 4 subjects in first year including
- 1 core subject
- TAS-ZAA131 - Contemporary Business Environments
- 3 of the following electives:
- TAS-ZAA133 - Business Finance
- TAS-ZAA134 - Marketing for Business
- TAS-ZAA140 - Lean Thinking
- TAS-ZWT001 - The Wellbeing Toolkit
Satisfactory completion of 4 subjects, as required in the schedule to be eligible for this award
Pick your subjects to begin.
Apply for the degree, or enrol directly into a subject. It's up to you!
You can apply for government funding or pay up-front.
This degree has open enrolment subjects which allow you to start without submitting a degree application.
You'll have the option to apply for the degree once you've successfully passed the subjects. In many cases, you'll even gain credit.