Undergraduate Certificate in Agribusiness
Grow a profitable agriculture business
Prepare yourself for success in the business of agriculture. Get the skills you need to transform your passion for the land into a thriving agribusiness. Study the core of agriculture management and choose from electives including marketing.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 11 Feb 24
- 07 Jul 24
Wherever you are, the University of Tasmania brings its island campus to you through a growing range of online programs across art and design, business, education, health, science, sustainability, technology, and more. It’s never too late to switch things up. Kickstart that career you’ve been dreaming about, or upskill for the one you’re in. You’ll also become a part of the world's leading university on climate action.
Learn more about UTAS.
Explore UTAS courses.
QS Ranking 2024
Times Higher Education Ranking 2024
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
When would you like to chat?
Let me pick a time
Find a time that suits you for a free 1:1 consultation.
Call me anytime
An advisor will call you, usually within 30 minutes.
What you'll learn
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Identify, analyse and evaluate knowledge, skills, behaviours and attributes required to develop and enhance career opportunities in Agribusiness
- Describe the application of business concepts for contemporary agriculture
- Use cognitive, creative and technical skills to enable agribusiness to be agile and adaptable in digital and innovative landscapes
With interest growing in where food and other primary products are grown and produced, customers are keen to build relationships with their producers and learn about where their products come from. This provides new and innovative retail and marketing opportunities for the agribusiness industry to benefit from, with the farm-to-household trend like farmers markets, online shopping and home delivery.
Whether you’re just starting out in the industry or looking to upskill and progress in your current position, studying agribusiness will open you up to an exciting array of career pathways. You might find yourself working in a primary product business, such as horticulture, aquaculture, pharmaceuticals, or wineries, or in other non-production roles such as consultancy, business advisory, transport, retail or distribution.
For those already working in agriculture, this program can help you upskill and progress to more advanced managerial or leadership roles in your workplace.
By completing the Undergraduate Certificate in Agribusiness you will also have the opportunity to transition into further study, with full credit towards an Associate Degree in Agribusiness.
Higher education via OUA
Successful completion of one OUA open access subject of study at the equivalent AQF level, unless otherwise specified.
- Partially completed an undergraduate course at Diploma level or higher (or equivalent). You must have completed at least one subject of study (equivalent to 12.5 UTAS credit points) at 100 level or higher and which may include 100 level subjects completed in the UTAS Diploma of University Studies. If you have failed any subjects, your application may be subject to further review before an offer is made; OR
- Completed the UTAS University Preparation Program (or an equivalent qualification offered by an Australian University).
Completed the TCE or an equivalent qualification.
Successful completion of Certificate III or higher (or equivalent) in any discipline.
Work and Life
Applicants without senior secondary, tertiary or VET / TAFE study can complete a personal competency statement.
Applicants may be eligible for an offer if they have relevant work and / or life experiences which demonstrate a capacity to succeed in this program.
Credit for previous study or work
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
The Undergraduate Certificate in Agribusiness aims to prepare graduates to become dynamic, creative and adaptable practitioners with the skills and knowledge to ensure that the business of agriculture is profitable and sustainable in a modern economic climate.
On completion of this qualification, graduates will be able to:
• apply business concepts in contemporary agricultural practice
• commence employment or enhance career opportunities
• transition into further study, leadership and management
The Undergraduate Certificate in Agribusiness is distinct in its authentic learning approach, utilising applied, blended, and online interaction with students to develop knowledge and skills in their chosen field of study. This integrated approach applies an array of experiential education opportunities such as case studies, simulated work environments, and data-driven decision-making. Students will be able to situate this work within the not for profit, profit and/or government sectors. Student learning will be measured via a schedule of assessment tasks which exemplify authenticity and enable students to evidence their learning in their own Practice Manual.
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended.
Completion of 4 subjects from the schedule below:
- 3 core subjects
- TAS-ZAB111 Agribusiness Management
- TAS-ZAB116 Value Chain Management in Agribusiness
- TAS-ZAB119 Principles of Weed, Pest and Disease Management
- Elective: select 1 subject from the following:
- TAS-ZAA132 Managing People
- TAS-ZAA133 Business Finance
- TAS-ZAB126 E-agribusiness, Technology and Innovation
- TAS-ZPP102 Industry Skills in Practice
Satisfactory completion of 4 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 0.5-1 year from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps. This degree also allows you to get started with Open access.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Choose how you want to start
You can apply for the full degree or if you want to start with Open access, enrol into the subjects using the ‘Single subjects’ option.
You can apply for the degree later and the subjects may be credited towards the degree.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.
This degree offers Open access entry, exclusive to Open Universities Australia.
There’s more than one way to get a degree. Open access allows you to start with single subjects as a way into eligible degrees, regardless of your study history.
Enrol into and complete the required Open access subjects to earn entry in this degree. Most subjects have no entry requirements, are fully government funded (if you’re eligible) and may be credited when you start the degree.
The best part? You can enrol and get started with single subjects now.