Master of Nursing (Coursework)
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 06 Feb 22
- 10 Jul 22
The University of Notre Dame Australia is committed to delivering an excellent student experience, alongside a high standard of teaching, research, and training. As a leader in ethical education, Notre Dame aims to develop students’ critical reasoning and their ability to make ethical decisions—crucial skills to progressing their careers and leading purposeful lives. At Notre Dame, students navigate their future with an ethical education online.
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
On completion of this program students should be able to achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Analyse and interpret nursing scenarios to provide evidence based quality practice.
- Use reflective practice techniques in a range of learning activities to promote professional practice.
- Apply leadership and collaborative skills within an interprofessional health care environment.
- Apply concepts of global, medico-legal, social and cultural diversity.
- Identify the distinguishing characteristics of nursing research in terms of purposes, underlying assumptions and available methodologies.
- Explore the principal paradigms employed in health and nursing research and differentiate between them in terms of their epistemological bases, their respective strengths and limitations in addressing different types of research.
- Formulate questions amenable to research and align those questions to appropriate research designs, data collection procedures, techniques and data analysis.
- Critique examples of research studies and models, identifying strengths and limitations of design that might threaten the internal validity and generalisability (external validity) of the findings.
- Identify the important ethical or other issues when conducting nursing research and apply value appropriate safeguards to the interests of all stake-holders involved a research project.
- Apply advanced technical skills and reflective practice within the domain of nursing research.
Master of Nursing (Coursework) is not ANMAC accredited. University of Notre Dame PG Graduates are industry recognised through specific salary structures.
To be eligible for admission to The University of Notre Dame Australia, all applicants must meet the University’s minimum requirements for admission. The requirements for admission are detailed in the University’s Policy: Admissions.
Work and Life
To be eligible for admission to the Master of Nursing (Coursework) applicants must also meet the following specific requirements.
- Current licence to practice as a Registered Nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia or provisional registration, whichever is applicable at the time of the student’s program commencement;
- Nursing or other appropriate degree or the equivalent;
- Minimum of one year relevant post registration nursing experience.
Applications for Advanced Standing and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) will be considered and reviewed on a case by case basis by UNDA's Student Administration.
Nursing is a practice profession that requires all nurses to maintain competency and participate in activities that contribute to professional and practice development. The Master of Nursing program aims to enhance the knowledge and confidence of nurses to conduct independent studies. Students will learn the pragmatic considerations of systematic inquiry by adopting an experiential, inquiry-based approach to learning. The program will promote debate and discussion enabling the student to become a competent consumer of evidence-based practice and able to contribute knowledge to the discipline of nursing. Questions arising from the student’s nursing practice will address contemporary health care issues. The focus of the online program will be to evaluate evidence in order to make informed judgements about the robustness and utility of the findings to nursing practice. The program will also provide an important link between research and nursing practice, and will encourage the development of a culture of collaborative studies between practice and academia. Students who have completed a Graduate Diploma and a core curriculum course can apply for advanced standing and be eligible for specialisation.
Recommended Study Pattern
To be eligible for the award of Master of Nursing (Coursework) students must complete a minimum of 300 Units of Credit chosen from the following:
Three (3) Postgraduate Nursing subjects:
- NURS4037 Clinical Governance
- NURS5006 Professional Role Development
- NURS5021 Management
Three (3) Postgraduate Elective subjects selected from list below:
- MEDI5121 Learning and Facilitation in Health Professional Education
- MEDI5123 Reasoning and Clinical Innovation
- MEDI5110 Contemporary Issues in Health Professional Education
- MEDI5124 Coaching and Supervision in Health
- NURS6007 Introduction to Perinatal and Infant Mental Health (offered in S2 only)
- NURS5000 Deteriorating Patient Acute Care
- NURS5017 Reflective Practice in Health
One (1) Postgraduate Research Elective subject:
- NURS5003 Evidence Based Practice
One (1) core curriculum subject:
- PHIL6020 Ethical Issues for Professional Life
Two (2) Master subjects:
- NURS6001 Supervised Dissertation Nursing (enrol in this subject twice)
Two (2) Specialisation subjects
To be eligible for the award of Master of Nursing (Coursework) students must complete a minimum of 300 Units of Credit chosen from the subjects listed in Recommended Study Pattern comprising:
- 75 Units of Credit from three (3) Postgraduate Elective subjects
- 75 Units of Credit from three (3) Postgraduate Nursing subjects
- 25 Units of Credit from one (1) Postgraduate Research Elective subject
- 25 Units of Credit from one (1) core curriculum subjects
- 100 Units of Credit from two (2) Master subjects
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select “See subjects”
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.