Graduate Diploma in Sport Coaching and Leadership
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 05 Feb 23
- 09 Jul 23
The University of Notre Dame Australia is committed to delivering an excellent student experience, alongside a high standard of teaching, research, and training. As a leader in ethical education, Notre Dame aims to develop students’ critical reasoning and their ability to make ethical decisions—crucial skills to progressing their careers and leading purposeful lives. At Notre Dame, students navigate their future with an ethical education online.
Learn more about UNDA.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Investigate, interpret and apply information regarding coaching and leadership models, behaviours and best practice across a range of sporting contexts.
- Identify physical and mental requirements of athletes across a range of sporting contexts, and plan, implement, and evaluate athlete centred programs that may utilise contemporary technology to enhance performance.
- Critically appraise and reflect on coaching and leadership strategies, practice and programming for holistic athlete development and lifelong learning.
- Investigate and communicate socially responsible guidelines that address a range of organisational, social, community and individual issues that reflect positive ethical culture for athletes and the wider community.
- Critically analyse and interpret research literature, sport performance data and effectively transmit information both orally and written for a variety of purposes within coaching environments.
- Articulate objective and universal truth, appreciate the intrinsic dignity of the human person, and exhibit good intellectual and moral habits.
Coach educator, coaching director, head coach, assistant coach, high performance coach, performance director, sports development manager, sport management.
To be eligible for admission to The University of Notre Dame Australia, all applicants must meet the University’s minimum requirements for admission. The requirements for admission are detailed in the University’s Policy: Admissions.
To be eligible for admission to the Graduate Certificate and Graduate Diploma of Sport Coaching and Leadership applicants must also meet the following specific requirements:
- Bachelor degree (AQF Level 7) in related field; or
- Bachelor degree (AQF Level 7) combined with 5 years coaching experience in semi-professional or professional sport.
English Proficiency Requirements
To be eligible for admission to The University of Notre Dame Australia, all applicants must meet the University’s minimum requirements for admission. The requirements for admission are detailed in the University’s Policy: Admissions
Applications for Advanced Standing and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) will be considered and reviewed on a case by case basis by UNDA's Student Administration.
The Graduate Diploma of Sport Coaching and Leadership will provide future and current coaches a clear understanding of the theory and methodological application of best practice principles that focus on holistic athlete development. Throughout the program, students explore coaching and leadership theories and behaviours, cultural issues, advanced strength and conditioning and performance analysis techniques, ethics and professional life, and integrated approaches to athlete health and performance. Students will reflect on their own coaching experience, and how coaching and leadership can influence athletic environments, performance and progress.
Recommended Study Pattern
To be eligible for the award of Graduate Diploma of Sport Coaching and Leadership students must complete the following 8 subjects:
1 Core Curriculum subject:
- PHIL6020 Ethical Issues in Professional Life
7 Compulsory subjects:
- HLTH6008 Multidimensional Coaching Practice
- HLTH6009 Performance Technology and Analysis for Coaches
- BUSN5620 Leadership Theory and Practice
- HLTH6011 Professional Practice in High Performance Sport
- HLTH6012 Applications of Strength and Conditioning
- HLTH6013 Integrated Approaches to Athlete Health and Performance
- HLTH6014 Evidence Based Coaching Practice
To be eligible for the award of Graduate Diploma of Sport Coaching and Leadership students must complete a minimum of 7 subjects chosen from compulsory subjects outlined in the recommended study pattern.
Students who have completed the award requirements for the Graduate Certificate in Sport Coaching and Leadership may apply to exit the Graduate Diploma of Sport Coaching and Leadership with this Award.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.