Warning! This is a restricted degree. Subject enrolment is only available to students admitted into this degree.
Master of Health Care Management
Become a champion of change in health care
Designed for health care professionals to dive deep into management, quality, and safety. Gain the knowledge you need to become a leader of excellence in health care. Prepare for management opportunities in community, mental health, primary and aged care.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 11 Feb 24
- 14 Jul 24
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 25,000 students and 2,400 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
Learn more about Murdoch.
Explore Murdoch courses.
QS Ranking 2024
Times Higher Education Ranking 2024
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
When would you like to chat?
Let me pick a time
Find a time that suits you for a free 1:1 consultation.
Call me anytime
An advisor will call you, usually within 30 minutes.
What you'll learn
Upon the successful completion of this degree students will be able to:
- define a body of knowledge that includes recent and contemporary developments in Health Care Management, Quality, Safety and Leadership
- analyse critically all available information to demonstrate theoretical and practical knowledge and to reflect on theory, professional practice and scholarship
- display effective communication skills and technical research skills to evaluate and synthesise complex information and to justify and interpret theoretical propositions, methodologies, conclusions and professional decisions to specialist and non-specialist stakeholders
- apply initiative to situations in a work setting and/or for further learning
- display the capability to operate with a high degree of personal autonomy and accountability
- design a plan and execute a research-based project, and /or related piece of scholarship communicating the project findings
Enhanced quality, safety and management skills acquired will position students to meet consumer expectations of the healthcare system and to fulfil industry demand for increased middle management skills, mentoring, supervision and coaching skills in order to enhance the quality of services. Positions such as Accreditation Coordinator, Quality Manager, Quality and Risk Manager are essential within health services, particularly the private and aged care sectors, for their accreditation. Successful completion of this degree will put graduates in a favourable position to fill such roles.
Completion of a Bachelor degree (AQF Level 7) or equivalent in a health discipline.
Work and Life
Preparation for the degree through previous study or professional experiences will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
English Proficiency Requirements
Equivalent of an Academic IELTS overall score of 6.0 with no band less than 6.0.
Access to adequate library resources and to the Internet is essential for external students.
*** Proof of citizenship is not required for admission; however, it is required for access to Higher Education Loan Programs (HELP). Please upload a scanned copy of your birth certificate or Australian passport or citizenship certificate along with your application.
Credit for previous study or work
Find out if you are eligible and apply at https://www.murdoch.edu.au/study/courses/undergraduate-courses/recognition-of-prior-learning.
This course aims to cultivate excellence in quality, leadership and management in health professionals working in Quality, Safety, Risk and Middle Management roles in acute, community, mental health, primary and aged care public and private sectors. Students will, on completion of the course, have the capacity and capability of applying these skills in a range of management positions and become leaders and champions of change. Innovative and creative elective units are designed to allow different disciplines to focus on their areas of speciality. Advanced Standing: Up to 12 credit points of advanced standing is available to students who have completed a Level 8 Graduate Certificate or a Bachelors degree with Honours.
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
- There are 9 subjects in Semester 1 and 8 subjects in Semester 2. Students can enrol into their preferred subjects except for two, i.e., SHP603 & SHP604.
- SHP 632 the research methods subjects is a pre-requisite to undertaking the year-long research project subjects SHP 603. Students at Murdoch University are unable to self-enrol in SHP 603 as enrolment must be via review by the Academic Chair to check that they have successfully completed SHP 632.
- SHP 511, the leadership subject is also the pre-requisite for SHP 604 the Reflective Practice subjects
To qualify for the award of Master of Health Care Management students must complete the following ten (10) core subjects:
- SHP501 Safety and Quality in Health Care
- SHP612 Managing in a Health Care Environment
- SHP511 Leadership in Health Care
- SHP632 Applied Health Research Methods: From Research to Practice
- SHP603 Applied Health Services Project (double eftsl subject)
- SHP602 Human Factors: The Impact on Patient Safety
- SHP510 Bioethics and Law for Health Care Leadership
- SHP639 Financial Management in Health Care
- SHP541 Health Policy in an Australian Context
- SHP604 Reflective Practice in Health Management
and one (1) of the following specified elective subjects:
- EDU616 Teaching, Learning and Working in Culturally Diverse Environments
- SHP641 Clinical Governance
Graduate Certificate in Health Care Management (comprising of 4 core subjects)
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.