Warning! This is a restricted degree. Subject enrolment is only available to students admitted into this degree.
Master of Health Care Management
Become a champion of change in health care
Designed for health care professionals to dive deep into management, quality, and safety. Gain the knowledge you need to become a leader of excellence in health care. Prepare for management opportunities in community, mental health, primary and aged care.
Applications for 2021 have closed. Apply for 2022
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
Subjects may require attendance
- No dates available
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this degree students will be able to:
- apply recent and contemporary developments in Health Care Management, Quality, Safety and Leadership to a range of problems and scenarios
- analyse information to demonstrate theoretical and practical knowledge in theory, practice and scholarship
- select and exercise appropriate communication skills for technical and research contexts.
- interpret theoretical propositions, methodologies, conclusions and professional decisions for specialist and non‐specialist stakeholders
- apply initiative to situations in a work setting and/or for further learning
- model the capability for personal autonomy and accountability in a professional setting
- design and execute a research‐based project, and /or related piece of scholarship.
Enhanced quality, safety and management skills acquired will position students to
meet consumer expectations of the healthcare system and to fulfil industry demand for increased middle management skills, mentoring, supervision and coaching skills in order to enhance the quality of services. Positions such as Accreditation Coordinator, Quality Manager, Quality and Risk Manager are essential within health services, particularly the private and aged care sectors, for their accreditation. Successful completion of this degree will put graduates in a favourable position to fill such roles.
Completion of a Bachelor degree (AQF Level 7) or equivalent in a health discipline.
Work and Life
Preparation for the degree through previous study or professional experiences will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
English Proficiency Requirements
Equivalent of an Academic IELTS overall score of 6.0 with no band less than 6.0.
Access to adequate library resources and to the Internet is essential for external
*** Proof of Australian citizenship is required. Please upload a scanned copy of your birth certificate or Australian passport or citizenship certificate along with your application.
Find out if you are eligible and apply at https://www.murdoch.edu.au/study/courses/undergraduate-courses/recognition-of-prior-learning.
Build your skills in leadership and management to further progress your health care career. This degree is for you if you currently work in quality, safety and risk roles within community, mental health, primary and aged care and are looking to transition into a management position, or are currently in a middle management position and wanting to progress further.
The degree includes a focus on safety and quality to address the increased need for leadership and governance of healthcare for patient safety. It provides the hard and soft skills needed within a clinical context, including leadership and managerial skills, financial management in healthcare, policy and human factor considerations.
To qualify for the award of Master of Health Care Management students must complete the following ten (10) core subjects:
- SHP501 Safety and Quality in Health Care
- SHP612 Managing in a Health Care Environment
- SHP511 Leadership in Health Care
- SHP632 Applied Health Research Methods: From Research to Practice
- SHP603 Applied Health Services Project (double eftsl subject)
- SHP602 Human Factors: The Impact on Patient Safety
- SHP510 Bioethics and Law for Health Care Leadership
- SHP639 Financial Management in Health Care
- SHP541 Health Policy in an Australian Context
- SHP604 Reflective Practice in Health Management
and one (1) of the following specified elective subjects:
- EDU616 Teaching, Learning and Working in Culturally Diverse Environments
- SHP641 Clinical Governance
Graduate Certificate in Health Care Management (comprising of 4 core subjects)
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select “See subjects”
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.