Warning! This is a restricted degree. Subject enrolment is only available to students admitted into this degree.
Master of Health Care Management
Become a champion of change in health care
Designed for health care professionals to dive deep into management, quality, and safety. Gain the knowledge you need to become a leader of excellence in health care. Prepare for management opportunities in community, mental health, primary and aged care.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 22,000 students and 2,000 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this degree students will be able to:
- apply recent and contemporary developments in Health Care Management, Quality, Safety and Leadership to a range of problems and scenarios
- analyse information to demonstrate theoretical and practical knowledge in theory, practice and scholarship
- select and exercise appropriate communication skills for technical and research contexts.
- interpret theoretical propositions, methodologies, conclusions and professional decisions for specialist and non‐specialist stakeholders
- apply initiative to situations in a work setting and/or for further learning
- model the capability for personal autonomy and accountability in a professional setting
- design and execute a research‐based project, and /or related piece of scholarship.
Enhanced quality, safety and management skills acquired will position students to
meet consumer expectations of the healthcare system and to fulfil industry demand for increased middle management skills, mentoring, supervision and coaching skills in order to enhance the quality of services. Positions such as Accreditation Coordinator, Quality Manager, Quality and Risk Manager are essential within health services, particularly the private and aged care sectors, for their accreditation. Successful completion of this degree will put graduates in a favourable position to fill such roles.
Completion of a Bachelor degree (AQF Level 7) or equivalent in a health discipline.
Work and Life
Preparation for the degree through previous study or professional experiences will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
English Proficiency Requirements
Equivalent of an Academic IELTS overall score of 6.0 with no band less than 6.0.
Access to adequate library resources and to the Internet is essential for external
*** Proof of Australian citizenship is required. Please upload a scanned copy of your birth certificate or Australian passport or citizenship certificate along with your application.
Find out if you are eligible and apply at https://www.murdoch.edu.au/study/courses/undergraduate-courses/recognition-of-prior-learning.
This degree aims to cultivate excellence in quality, leadership and management in
health professionals working in Quality, Safety, Risk and Middle Management roles in acute, community, mental health, primary and aged care public and private sectors. Students will, on completion of the course, have the capacity and capability of applying these skills in a range of management positions and become leaders and champions of change. Innovative and creative elective subjects are designed to allow different disciplines to focus on their areas of speciality.
To qualify for the award of Master of Health Care Management students must complete the following ten (10) core subjects:
- SHP501 Safety and Quality in Health Care
- SHP612 Managing in a Health Care Environment
- SHP511 Leadership in Health Care
- SHP632 Applied Health Research Methods: From Research to Practice
- SHP603 Applied Health Services Project
- SHP602 Human Factors: The Impact on Patient Safety
- SHP510 Bioethics and Law for Health Care Leadership
- SHP639 Financial Management in Health Care
- SHP541 Health Policy in an Australian Context
- SHP604 Reflective Practice in Health Management
and one (1) of the following elective subjects:
- EDU616 Teaching, Learning and Working in Culturally Diverse Environments
- SHP641 Clinical Governance
We make it easy to apply online through Open Universities Australia.
Choose subjects to begin.
Fill out your details and choose a payment option. You can apply for government funding or pay up-front – all in one place.