Graduate Diploma in Health Professional Education
Become an exemplary health educator
This industry-focussed postgrad qualification enables you to expand your educational practice. Grow your learning and facilitation knowledge. Consider research methods and ethical issues. Demonstrate best practice in contemporary health education.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
The University of Notre Dame Australia is committed to delivering an excellent student experience, alongside a high standard of teaching, research, and training. As a leader in ethical education, Notre Dame aims to develop students’ critical reasoning and their ability to make ethical decisions—crucial skills to progressing their careers and leading purposeful lives. At Notre Dame, students navigate their future with an ethical education online.
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon successful completion of the Graduate Diploma in Health Professional Education graduates will be able to:
- Examine learning theories underpinning educational practice and scholarship and apply them effectively within the health education context.
- Analyse contemporary issues within health professional education and their significant influence on the application of educational practice.
- Engage in reflective practice to promote life-long learning.
- Develop sophisticated understandings of the unique nature of learning and teaching in the health context
- Develop educational initiatives that enhance best practice principles in the often unpredictable workplace/clinical health context.
- Evaluate key ethical issues and traditions that inform and shape professional conduct, particularly as these relate to learning and teaching.
The Graduate Diploma In Health Professional Education affords the student an opportunity to consolidate their educational practice and expertise so they can undertake senior educational roles in the public or private health and academic sectors.
To be eligible for admission to the Graduate Diploma in Health Professional Education applicants must also meet the following specific requirements:
- As a minimum qualification, a recognised Bachelor degree in a health profession or equivalent professional experience in health professional education, and;
- An active involvement in health professional education – applicants need to demonstrate their teaching experience in a health professional environment which can include but not limited to:
- Any clinical or hospital education-based position, or any position in which they supervise students in daily work routines (for example, people supervising undergraduate nurses, physios, doctors, medical interns, registrars, etc.)
- Work in a health-based school in academia or TAFE
- Work in a multidisciplinary team of health professionals
- Provide education/supervision to members or students
- Work in a health professional context, such as health scientist teaching in a school of medicine or veterinary clinic/hospitals
- People with health professional degrees and working in physio, OT, or social work.
This Graduate Diploma of Health Professional Education is designed to meet the unique learning needs of health professional educators in medicine, nursing and allied health settings in academic and/or clinical contexts. Acknowledging complex lives and multiple priorities this degree is flexible. The self-directed courses are delivered fully online, allowing content to be accessed at a time, place and pace that best suits you. Learners will extend their foundational knowledge and skills in educational theory and practice, clinical reasoning and supervisory role to explore their professional development in the context of their specific educational practice. This qualification provides a foundation for health professionals looking to expand their knowledge, skills and affective learning. The Graduate Diploma in Health Professional Education is an articulated qualification that forms the foundation for the Master of Health Professional Education.
Recommended Study Pattern
Students may only complete this program under part-time study (no more than 2 subjects per semester).
Complete the following three core subjects:
- MEDI5121 Learning and Facilitation in Health Professional Education
- MEDI5000 Research Methods
- PHIL6020 Ethical Issues in Professional Life
Complete five elective subjects from the following options:
- MEDI5110 Contemporary Issues in Health Professional Education and Leadership
- MEDI5122 Assessing Competence in Health Professional Education
- MEDI5123 Reasoning and Clinical Innovation
- MEDI5124 Coaching and Supervision in Health
- EDUC5116 Designing Curriculum for Effective Learning
- EDUC5117 Principles and Practices of Assessment and Evaluation
To be eligible for the award of Graduate Diploma of Health Professional Education students must complete a minimum of 75 Units of Credit consisting of the three (3) Compulsory Courses and five (5) Elective Courses giving 125 Units of Credit.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select “See subjects”
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.