Graduate Certificate of Occupational Hygiene
Start your journey into occupational health
Learn core occupational hygiene skills, so you can prevent health and safety incidents in your workplace. This certificate is ideal for those already working in high-risk environments, and can be used to gain entry into the related Masters Degree.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
Online & on-campus
- No dates available
ECU is ranked one of the world’s best young universities and Australia’s best public university for teaching quality. That quality extends to more than 30,000 students, many studying online through Open Universities Australia. ECU offers the same quality of teaching to you, regardless of where you’re studying in the world. Their flexible study solutions include a huge range of online courses, recognising your need to juggle work, family or other commitments.
Learn more about ECU.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the end of the program, students of the Graduate Certificate of Occupational Hygiene can:
- Apply communication and collaboration skills to demonstrate well-developed judgement in professional occupational hygiene contexts.
- Apply technical and creative skills to investigate and evaluate complex occupational hygiene ideas, concepts and theories in workplace situations.
- Reflect critically on advanced discipline knowledge, research principles and methods to demonstrate a high level of Occupational Hygiene professional practice or scholarship.
Occupational Hygienists work across a range of industries where occupational and environmental hazards are present, including mining, government departments and manufacturing.
Possible future job titles: Occupational Hygiene Technicians, Occupational Hygiene Advisors
Academic admission requirements (Band 6) may be satisfied through completion of the following:
Work and Life
Equivalent prior learning including at least five years relevant professional experience.
English Proficiency Requirements
English competency requirements may be satisfied through completion of one of the following:
- IELTS Academic Overall band minimum score of 6.5 (no individual band less than 6.0);
- Bachelor degree from a country specified on the English Proficiency Bands page (Band 4);
- Successfully completed 0.375 EFTSL of study at postgraduate level or higher at an Australian higher education provider (or equivalent);
- Where accepted, equivalent prior learning, including at least five years relevant professional experience; or
- Other tests, courses or programs defined on the English Proficiency Bands page (Band 4).
On campus requirements
Students are required to attend a 3 day workshop for each of the 3 practical units.
If you have completed units of study at University, or have relevant professional experience, you may be eligible for Credit and Recognition of Prior Learning (CRPL).
To assess your eligibility for credit, we first need you to apply for and accept an offer in your course of interest with us. You can then submit an Application for Credit and Recognition of Prior Learning via your Student Portal.
This course aims to develop skills in the practical aspects of identifying, evaluating and controlling occupational hazards that could adversely affect the health of workers.
The program has been developed to allow practitioners to develop specific skills in occupational hygiene. It can also be used as an entry pathway into the Master of Occupational Hygiene and Toxicology.